1. Meet the Royals

"I don't ever want to let you down,
I don't ever want to leave this town;
Cause after all,
This city never sleeps at night.
It's time to begin, isn't it?"

◘ ◘ ◘

"Well, this is it. I'll let you settle in, your uniforms are already hung in your wardrobe," Mrs. Humphrey said, giving me a tight smile before stalking off. Mrs. Humphrey was the woman in charge of student accommodation, a strict lady with her hair tied so tightly into a bun it looked as if she was stretching out the skin on her face. I thanked her halfheartedly, and set my small luggage on the floor. Looking around the room, I let out a sigh, admiring the beautiful cream coloured walls, the leather sofas, my big, king-sized bed. My room hardly looked like a dormitory, it looked like a hotel suite! Well, at least the students get their money's worth, I thought.

I couldn't help the big smile on my face as I dragged my luggage into the walk-in closet and once settled, immediately diving head-first into my plush, luxuriously soft mattress.

Most of the students are back from winter break, since school started the next day, and I received many curious glances when I walked down the hallway with the level custodian beside me. Meilleur Academy was located in Paris, France, and people from all over the world study in this prestigious, well-known school. It was incredibly hard to get a scholarship, and I was one of the lucky few who had the privilege of receiving it. The tuition is extremely expensive, and from the looks of this dorm room, I could definitely understand why. Rich socialites, geniuses, heirs and heiresses to multi-billionaire businesses, up and coming artists and star athletes...these were the people that attended Meilleur. It was an elite school, the place for the absolute best.

I sighed softly. I had to give my very best here, this was my chance to achieve my dreams! It's still such a big shock to me, that I received a scholarship to this place. Better not let this chance go to waste then! I looked over to my bedside table to check the time.

6.48 PM

It was time for dinner soon, according to the schedule Mrs. Humphrey handed to me. The school had schedules for everyone, which included their classes, meal times, and curfew. I got up and walked over to the wardrobe. Mrs. Humphrey had told me that students were not required to wear uniforms after classes have ended, and that we were free to wear whatever we wanted on weekends, as long as it didn't obstruct the school's dress code. I pulled out a fresh set of iron-pressed clothes, admiring the professional stitching and smart design of it. It truly looked like something a rich heir or heiress would wear, even though it was only their school uniform. Meilleur's school uniform was designed by one of the students from when the school first started. It consisted of a crisp pearl white button-down blouse with black stitching on the cuff of the sleeves and a black pleated checkered skirt that was lightly accented by white and grey. Finally, the uniform is complete with a black blazer. I put on the uniform, frowning slightly when I realized it was a few sizes too big for me. The blazer was so big only the tips of my fingers peeked out! Oh well, unless I wanted to starve, I had to wear the uniform. I'll notify Mrs. Humphrey about it soon, I decided.

Slipping on a pair of black flats, I grabbed my dorm keys and map and headed to where I hoped the canteen would be. It wouldn't be much of a problem, though, since the map was clear, precise and bloody colour-coded so I didn't get lost on my way to the canteen. As I entered the canteen, I was awestruck. This place wasn't like the regular canteens in America, it looked like the inside of a five star restaurant! The tables were covered in satin cloth and the polished wooden chairs had velvet cushions on it.

I planned to get take-away and head back to my dorm to unpack as well as tell Mrs. Humphrey about my uniform. After all, I didn't have any friends to eat with.