6. The First Promise

"If we're only ever looking back,

We will drive ourselves insane."

  ◘ ◘ ◘   

My eyes nearly fell out of my sockets as I took in the magnificent sight before me. Four sleek, expensive cars idled at the front of the school entrance, surrounded by a small herd of excited students. Asher was standing by the side of the third car, a beautiful black Porsche Spyder, looking as impatient as ever. It was like an invisible rain cloud constantly hovered over that boy. He waved us over, and shot me a fleeting annoyed glare. Well hello to you too, dickwad.

"Emily's riding with me. Go pick one of the cars to ride with," he stated bluntly before walking over to the passenger side of his car, opening the door for Emily like a gentleman. If glares could kill, Emily would probably be six foot under, murdered by the jealous Royals-crazed girls surrounding us. Emily seemed to notice this, and quickly slipped into the passenger seat with a face as red as a tomato.

My eyes twinkled bright with excitement as I eyed the other three cars, all of which had tinted windows. My jaws nearly dropped as I spotted a navy blue Bugatti, the very first car in the line. As my eyes traveled past the beauties, a classy silver Aston Martin and a flashy matte green Ferrari.

Squealing internally, I practically skipped towards the sparkling Bugatti, opening the door carefully and sliding in.

"Ohmygoshthisissoawesome!" I whispered to myself excitedly. Gingerly, I let my curious fingers run down the smooth leather of the seat, almost shitting bricks at how soft it was. It even has the new car smell!

I glanced to the side, and after realising the driver was none than Robin Oswald Clair, my excitement deflated almost immediately and a small frown replaced my grin. Cocking an eyebrow, Robin wordlessly started his car; the engine purring to life.

As much of a dick Robin is, he has amazing taste in cars, I thought, looking around the interior of the car in amazement and wonder.

"You're quiet," he commented, his eyes never straying from the road.

"There's nothing to say," I answered, trying my hardest to sound indifferent and not down-right pissed. After all, I was in the same car as the guy that had ditched me without having even the tiniest decency to let me know in advance. No big deal.

"Hmm," he hummed, and my eye involuntarily twitched. Was that all he had to say? I am going to murder him in his sleep!

"Do you have any music?" I asked after the silence was too much for me to bear. Robin nodded, leaning over to open the compartment in front of my seat. Inside was a neat pile of CDs.

"Take your pick," he murmured. Carefully, I picked up the first CD case in the pile. It was Bastille's Bad Blood. With a smile, I popped the case open and took the CD out, handing the CD to Robin.

"You listen to Bastille?" Robin asked, glancing at me in surprise. I nodded and looked out the window as the tune of my favourite song began to play.

"I...apologise for cancelling on you last minute yesterday night," Robin began to say, and I noticed that his knuckles on the steering wheel turned white.

"It's nothing," I murmured quietly, though I wasn't going to forgive him entirely for bailing on me.

"I had an emergency meeting," he elaborated hesitantly, which surprised me. Robin didn't seem like the kind of guy to apologise and explain himself.