5. Now Trending

"Never thought I'd live to see the day, where everybody's words got in the way!"

◘ ◘ ◘

When I returned to the ballroom, Emily visibly relaxed at the sight of me.

"Oh, thank god you're okay! When we came back from dancing and you were gone, I didn't know what to think!" Emily exclaimed, grabbing my shoulders tightly and looking at me up and down to check for any injuries. I raised an eyebrow and bubbled out a laughter.

"I'm seventeen, mom," I teased, flicking her button nose. Wrinkling her nose, she giggled softly. "I'm not your mom!"

"Yeah, sure you're not!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes dramatically.

"Watch your tone, missy!" Emily waggled an offending finger at me, cocking her hip to a side.

"Whatcha gonna do, huh? Send me to my room?" I sneered. We maintained an unbreakable eye contact for a few seconds, both of us too stubborn to look away first.

"Could you both grow up?" Asher snapped, rolling his eyes.

"Mom, he's being a meanie!" I whined, smirking at Asher's annoyed expression. Emily and I broke into a fit of giggles, while Reiko and Yuko stood by with amused looks on their faces. Asher simply sighed and checked his watch. Logan and Flavia were nowhere to be found.

"Where's Logan?" I asked, and suddenly Reiko found a big interest in the marble tiles beneath her. She crossed her arms like a defiant child and had an awfully cute frown on her face.

"With Flavia," Emily answered awkwardly, scratching the back of her hand. I wrinkled my nose.

"Boys," Reiko and I muttered in unison, and grinned widely at each other afterwards.

"Jinx!" we both yelled, attracting several curious glances from the students around us.

"Double jinx!" I cried, fist pumping in victory. Reiko pouted and crossed her arms, "You got lucky this time, Alex."

Asher cleared his throat irritably, adjusting his tie. "It's late, shall we?" he asked Emily, though his tone suggested that there was no space for argument. Emily stole a glance at me, looking slightly reluctant.

"Okay," she murmured, and Asher smiled stiffly. He offered her his arm, and she hesitantly looped an arm through. His action didn't go unnoticed by the other students. Under everyone's watchful eye and to their surprise, Asher pulled Emily closer and leaned in to kiss her cheek lightly.

"Thanks for being my date tonight," he said loudly, and Emily blushed bright pink. At that, he walked her out of the ballroom together.

Asher Dane is dating Emily Park? No way!

I think they're pretty cute, don't you?

He deserves better.

I swirled around to glare at the girl behind me, who was dressed in an unbelievably short purple dress and six-inch heels.

"He deserves better? Like who? You?" I sneered, giving her the stink eye. She had the decency to look slightly embarrassed, but quickly recovered and flipped her hair.

"Yeah, of course," she stated matter-of-factly.

"I don't know Asher Dane well, but I'm certain that even he has more standards than to date a judgemental wrench like you," I snapped. The girl clenched her jaw, glancing around and taking note of the audience that had gathered around us.