10. Get it together

August.

I walked inside of Footlocker feeling confident. It's my first job, and I'm damn sure ready to ace it. I walked up to Louis, the manager who hired me.

"How ya doin Louis?" I firmly shook his hand.

"I'm feeling quite good August, how are you?"

"I'm straight." I smiled following behind Louis as he handed me my name tag & showed me how to clock in.

"What size shirt you need?" He asked.

"I would say a small, but dat might be huggin' me.. So I'll take a medium." I joked causing Louis to laugh.

"Quite a jokester their man, need more people like you." He handed me the shirt and I threw it over top of my tank top.

A dark skinned nigga round the same height as me walked in.

"Ryan this is August, August this is Ryan. Ryan will be training you today."

"What's good man." We dapped hands.

Ryan nodded his head basically tellin' me ta follow him.

"It's a easy job. Imma start by showing you the basics which is how ta assist a customer."

I nodded my head and followed Ryan as he headed towards a group of girls.

"How y'all ladies doing today? Need any help?" Ryan asked.

They shook their heads no causing Ryan to shrug his shoulders.

"If y'all need any help my name is Ryan and I can assist you today."

One of the girls was to busy eyeing me down that she wasn't Payin' attention to Ryan. I chuckled.

"Will do. Thanks Ryan." One of the girls smiled.

"That girl was droolin' ova you dawg!" Ryan laughed.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm used ta it now man."

"Oh damn it's like that, you get em all huh?"

I nodded my head. "Naw it ain' even like dat man. I just be chillin."

Ryan gave me that 'yeah right' face expression causing me to laugh.

"Aight see that couple right there." Ryan pointed towards the door.

I nodded my head.

"I want you to greet them. Try to do what I just showed you."

I walked over towards the laughing couple. The laugh sounded a little familiar but I ignored it and ain't pay it no mind.

"How y'all doing today? Need any help?"

The lady turned around smiling, then furrowed an eyebrow when she seen me.

"August.."

My smile quickly faded away.

"Oh it's you." I walked away from Jewel and her husband. I headed towards the back ta cool off. Ryan followed behind me.

"Aug what you get cold feet out there man? You was doin good what happened?"

"I know them."

"Bruh I know you ain't ashamed of ya job already, are you?"

I shook my head no.

"Just not on good terms with them right now."

Ryan placed his hands in his pocket.

"Oh I see...well I'll handle them for you and you can handle the next people."

I nodded my head.

"Let me know when they gone."

"I got you mane."

* *  *

My first day at work was cool. I aced it like I knew I was gon do. I learned how ta work the register, stock the floors, and assist customers today. I know it's gon be more shit to learn soon, but I got the basics down pack already.

I opened the door to find Jewel sitting on the steps like she was waiting for me. I sucked my teeth and ignored her presence. Of course Jewel ran down the steps and followed me into the kitchen.

"August, don't be like that."

I grabbed a deer park water bottle out the fridge and popped the top off taking a sip.

"Be like what?" I furrowed an eyebrow.

"Don't be stupid Aug, playin' these little games with me."

I let out a fake chuckle.

"If anything you da'one playin' games." I gulped down some more water.

Once I was finish I threw the bottle in the trash. I was bouta go upstairs in my room until Jewel pulled me by my arm.

"Jewel let go of me."

Jewel sighed.

"August will you just hear me out...please."

I turned around and leaned over the counter. "Aight talk." I stared into her dark brown eyes.

Jewel tucked her hair behind her ear. "August I'm sorry okay. I know it's not easy with me being married and all." She paused. "I really do love you August okay? It's not easy to just up and leave someone you have got attached too. Things like this take time, so if you can just bare with me it'd mean a lot to me."

I honestly don't have a idea what it feels like ta be in Jewel shoes, so I can't say I agree. "Aight, well in that case I won't be a sideline..so until you and ole' dude ova wit then we can do us. Until then Imma do me."

Jewel mouth dropped. "August, don't do this to me." A tear fell from her eye, and I know for a fact she's hurt now. I took my thumb and wiped the tear away. I kissed her cheek.

"Jewel, a nigga has needs too. I refuse ta share a woman with another man. I need my own."

"So what you trying to say August?" She yelled after me following me upstairs to my room.

"You know exactly what I'm sayin' Jewel."

"It's Asia you feelin' her huh?"

I ain't say nothing, I just stared at the blank wall.

"I get it she's younger and prettier then me. I'm stupid to think you'd want a 27 year old."

She tried slamming the door, but I pulled her back in my room. I gripped her hips, and kissed her neck.

"Calm that shit down Jewel, you kno' damn well I love you. What da'fuck does ya age have ta do wit anything? You only 6 years olda den me."

Jewel folded her arms like a little kid. "And your looks don't get me started." I kissed her brown sugar skin. "You really are a Jewel rather you think it or not."

"It's gon be hard to resist eachother, but I gotta stay my distance until you and ole' dude ova wit."

I kissed Jewel lips causing her to kiss me back. Why'd I do that? because us kissing lead to us making love all over again....