Chapter 27 - Razor's Edge

Warning: Sexual Content

********************************

As much as I enjoyed everyone's company, I still wished I could find a way to slip out and read through the new book Darien had given me. I knew that I was grasping at straws at this point by trying to look for something inside of a book that was more than likely make-believe, but what other choice did I have? I also couldn't shake the notion that Chris didn't seem to care anymore. He acted as though things were fine now since everything had seemed to quiet down, that there wasn't still a murderer out there. 

Was I being overly paranoid? Shouldn't I be happy that the bad things appeared to be drifting away from the two of us? Then I thought back to what I witnessed a few minutes ago, Officer Hudson being taunted by this killer and the little 'gift' they had sent the cop. This was far from over and I was truly worried that this Jack the Ripper copycat knew that I was after them; that I was looking for them in places that others seemed to not consider. That made me a threat and that meant that I couldn't stop seeking this person out until they were caught.

Until I could find some alone time, I tucked the books underneath some of my classwork on the desk. 

I turned back to find Chris giving me a puzzled look and I told him, "It's just some assigned reading that's a bit cringe-worthy."

The sound of a grumble caught our attention and we turned to Blake as he fussed, "I'm hungry."

"I'm kind of getting hungry too, do you want to go with me to find us all something to bring back to the dorm?" Mackenzie questioned as she got up from her spot on the floor.

I noticed the tiny moment of silent communication between my two friends as they glanced from Chris and me, and then back to each other with small smiles on their faces. I had to fight off the urge to roll my eyes, just what were they trying to do?

Blake nodded, trying to act nonchalant, "Sounds good to me."

When they got ready to leave Kenzie turned to Chris to say, "Just keep Amber company while we're gone, will you?"

Chris smirked replying, "With pleasure."

Once we were alone, I flopped down on my bed, sprawling out as I let out a heavy sigh. Chris crawled onto the bed, hovering over top of me with an amused smile curling his lips. His fingertips brushed the hair off my face as he asked, "Are you going to make it?" 

I let out a little laugh, "I'll find a way."

Chris shook his head as he rolled off of me to lie down beside me and since the bed was so small, that forced us to be pressed against each other. 

"Well, isn't this comfy?" He joked. 

I shook my head as I chuckled, "You're actually kind of crushing me."

"I'm barely touching you!" He shot back before moving to literally lie on top of me, "Now, I'm crushing you."

I let out a strangled laugh as I pressed on his chest, trying to lift him off of me, and whined, "Chris, get off!"

He let out a dark chuckle as he teased, "I just love it when you say my name like that, I think I'll just lay right here forever and listen to you." 

"Oh my god, if you don't get off of me-"

"What are you going to do?" He questioned with a mischievous look in his eyes. 

I dug my fingernails into his pecks as I warned in a playful tone, "I could scratch up all these pretty tattoos of yours."

"Oh c'mon, now that's just mean."

"And you cutting off my air supply isn't?"

"You seem just fine to me, you're still able to run your mouth, aren't you?"