Chapter 14 - Night Call

It was several minutes later when Chris finally stopped. He untied the girl, speaking to her in what appeared to be a kind manner the whole time, causing her to give him a tired smile. When he helped her to her feet and came around the other side of the table, I caught a glimpse of a noticeable bulge in his pants. I quickly averted my eyes and a tickle of irritation popped up in the back of my head, but I did my best to brush it away.

I was honestly a bit surprised when Chris and the masked woman went their separate ways. Hudson seemed just as perplexed as I was, but that didn't cause him to miss a single step as he tailed Chris. The cop made sure to keep a good distance between the two of them, as did I. Chris mingled with some strangers around him, nodding his head at whatever they were telling him. I found it somewhat odd that he didn't stay for long, because as soon as he excused himself, he went straight for the coat collection area. He got his pea coat back and then once it was on, he was right out the door. Hudson was hot on his heels as I hurried to keep up with them, surely Chris must have caught on to the fact he was being watched.

Once I was back outside I rushed over to Mackenzie and Lea, cursing the loud tapping of my high heels.

"We have to follow them." I command in a harsh whisper.

"Isn't that Chris up there? What's he doing here?" Mackenzie questioned as she tried to keep her voice down as she tagged along with me.

I shook my head whispering, "It is, but I don't know what he's up to."

Chris lead us to the train station and I made sure that we boarded a different car from his, just to be careful. I was playing a dangerous game and it didn't help that I had drug my friends along.

Now that we were alone, Lea spoke up, "I thought you said Chris wasn't going?"

I kept my eyes glued to the floor as I murmured, "I thought so too."

"Then what the hell is going on? Why are we following him while a cop is clearly doing the same thing?"

I struggled to come up with an answer that would make sense and still keep her from worrying too much.

Kenzie ended up breaking the silence, "She's trying to figure out which of them could be Jack the Ripper."

Lea's eyebrows sprung up at that and then she began speaking in a slow tone, "Jack the Ripper is a murderer from the 1800's, you both know that right?"

"Don't talk to me like I'm stupid, of course we know that. I'm saying that one of them might be a copycat killer."

"Why would it be the cop?"

I felt a hot flare of irritation in my chest, why was she so willing to see Chris as a monster? At the same time, I wondered why I was so against the idea.

"Because of the fact she and Blake saw a cop standing over that body! It was probably him!" Mackenzie hissed.

It felt like the argued over the issue the whole ride and I wished I could have just slipped off of the train. I daydreamed about just heading back to my dorm and crawling under my covers to hide until we had to head back to America. Despite that, I stood near the door and made sure to keep a look out for Chris or Hudson as the train made its stops.

It felt like we had reached the heart of London when Chris finally decided to get off. Hudson waited half a beat before stepping out after him. I slipped off my stilettos, ignoring the looks of confusion I received from my friends. The ground was a bit slippery now thanks to my latex stockings, but I hoped that with the more I walked, the easier it would get. The further we went, the more I recognized that we were heading in the direction of the hotel Chris had been staying at.