forty-one

˚୨୧˚ ˚୨୧˚
april 26, 2020

the next morning, the couple had felt more relaxed than they should've.

so careless, that they had gone out for breakfast.

"this feels weird as hell," brandon mumbles as they felt eyes on them from every angle. thankfully, the cafe had already been small. plus, the manager had offered to temporarily close the doors to prevent paparazzi from emerging. but that didn't stop them from staring outside.

"i know," adele sighs, contemplating grabbing ahold of his hand. however, she could only think about scott at that moment, and what he would say.

they'd cut their breakfast short given the low level of comfort. he'd held onto her hand tightly as he lead the way to his car. the two sit in silence for a moment, "do you just wanna get starbucks?"

she shakes her head, "no, it's fine."

he glances at her, before starting the engine and making his way towards the freeway. once he'd pulled in front of the four seasons hotel, they sit in silence again.

"i'll pick you up tonight?" he asks. truthfully, he hadn't known when she was planning on returning to london, and he didn't want to ask in a straight-forward manner because he'd wanted her here as long as possible.

"okay," she nods. "good luck on your performance." she reaches to kiss his cheek, but met his lips instead.

he lets out a nervous laugh, "uh, yeah, thanks. if i don't get boo'd off stage."

"you're not gonna get boo'd off stage." she informs. "everyone's always gonna love you."

"i don't know about that..." he trails, and they both crack a smile.

she kisses him once more, "i promise you!" they give each other one last wave before adele turns to enter the lobby. she'd felt her heart ache increase the longer they'd distanced.

she'd wanted nothing more than to watch him perform tonight. brandon hadn't even brought up the idea, considering how uncomfortable adele felt in public. he was being considerate, despite the fact that he'd wanted her to be there, and the thought of this made her heart swell.

while she tried to figure out how she could go to his show, she'd been receiving a phone call from melanie. "hey."

"scott quit," she says. "so, yeah."

"oh." adele murmurs, letting out a sigh. she couldn't blame him, considering the amount of chances he'd given her to fix her image. "well, fuck."

"label's giving you a fill-in for now," adele had sensed the exhaustion in melanie's voice. "when are you deciding to come back?"

"i'm coming tomorrow." she decides on the spot, biting down on her lip. "so i'll see you then."

"see you, adele." they exchange goodbyes before adele was left alone in her hotel room once again.

she'd considered reaching out to scott. he was not the best manager, nor did he ever hardly put her feelings into consideration. but he was the first person who believed in her; the only person who had put trust in her talent. but he gave up on her, and though she'd understood, she had felt a sense of anger boiling inside of her.