fourteen

˚୨୧˚ ˚୨୧˚
december 14, 2019

brandon awoke to confetti drizzling down in every inch of his room, his four friends surrounding his bed. "happy birthday!"

a smile spreads over his tired expression, "oh, you guys really didn't have to.." then he realizes how much of a mess they had made. "really."

"oh, hush." edwin advises, "get dressed, get ready. we're taking your ass somewhere!"

"i really don't feel like going to the gas station to get my cake this year, guys." brandon sighs, "just go on your own."

zion scoffs, "not that cardboard ass cake again. we're giving you a homemade cake this year."

"we?" austin scoffs, "you mean, edwin, nick, and i. your ass just sits there."

"damn, you don't have to be so loud."

"anyways!" nick interrupts, tossing a pillow towards brandon. "be down in a few. we're hitting up ihop."

brandon settles with a small smile, nodding at his friends. the four make their way out of his room, leaving him by his lonesome.

he reaches for his phone, his mind on one person only.

IMESSAGE

ADELE
happy birthday :) x

BRANDON
thank you(:

ADELE
how's it feel being 20

BRANDON
nothing different from
being 19. i'll probably
feel it later on though

ADELE
your friends plan anything
for you?

BRANDON
i think so. they just
woke me up with confetti
all over my room

ADELE
awwww how cute

BRANDON
they're gonna make me
clean it up though/:

ADELE
oh i doubt it

ADELE
anyways i have to go sadly.
but i hope you enjoy
your day.

ADELE
also i think you should check
your front door (;

BRANDON
🤔 what u got up ur
sleeve adele

ADELE
smthn😄

ADELE
get up and get it!!

ADELE
i'd ft you but i really
gotta go ):

BRANDON
it's fine ❤️ have a
good evening

ADELE
have a good day ❤️ &
tell me all about
it tomorrow

BRANDON
for sure 💗

after brandon gives himself a shower, as well as a new outfit, he heads downstairs. excitement filled his body as he thought about adele and the fact that she'd been thoughtful enough to send a gift.

hearing the boys bickering in the kitchen, he quietly slips past them and makes his way towards the front door.

the package had already been laying on the hardwood floor, waiting to be torn open. hearing footsteps near him, he swiftly grabs the box and heads back upstairs.

he sets it down on his bed, getting ready to open it before his phone had received a message.

IMESSAGE

CHRISTINA
hi brandon.
happy birthday (':

BRANDON
hey. thanks(:

CHRISTINA
listen..you don't have
to say yes

CHRISTINA
but i wanna see you

BRANDON
why?

CHRISTINA
i miss you & i think
we should at least be
friends, even though
our relationship didn't
work out.

CHRISTINA
i'll buy you a plane
ticket to come for a
few days if you'd like
. i think it'll be fun

BRANDON
i miss you too actually

BRANDON
but i'm still sort
of hesitant to see you

CHRISTINA
just as friends?
i promise we'll
have a good time

BRANDON
ok

CHRISTINA
awesome! i'm buying
the ticket for the 17th
if that's alright

BRANDON
yeah that's fine ..
thanks for the ticket
too

CHRISTINA
of course. you
know i'd do anything
for you.

"dude! it's been like sixty years, you coming down or what?"

his ex girlfriend still in mind, brandon turns his phone off, picking up the unopened package and setting it on his counter without another glance.

he gives himself another glance in the mirror before heading downstairs.

"so, it's settled." scott nods, "you'll go to los angeles on the seventeenth, for three days only."

"why not longer?" adele asks curiously, though not minding the small vacation.

"you have more than enough press to do here." he informs, referring to the busy city they call home, "second guessing is still top five on the itunes charts, haven't you seen?"

her eyes widen, "oh my god..that's amazing."

"you're getting bigger..reaching more audiences.." he informs, smiling softly at her. "i'm proud of you."

she reaches to hug her manager, "thank you."

+++
UPDATE AFTER EDITING —
i've decided to change brandon's ex girlfriend into a fictional character rather than someone who he actually dated in real life. i just find it a little weird, so just thought i'd let you guys know especially if you're rereading.