thirty-five

˚୨୧˚ ˚୨୧˚
april 19, 2020

adele was miserable.

from getting called disgusting names during her set, to getting boo'd off of stage, she was exhausted. and even when she could see the end, it was decided that her tour would end earlier than scheduled.

she returned to her quiet home in london, spending days and nights alone. her health began to degrade, as she rarely ate at all and her eyes were unable to remain shut for a good night's sleep.

but something out of the ordinary happened on one of those days; a knock on her front door.

scott had been too busy figuring things out, and melanie figured it would be best leave her some space. so adele was curious as to who'd been at the door.

she lets out a small sigh at the sight of abel, who'd stood before her with a concerned expression. "oh, god. you look terrible."

she covers her face with her hands, allowing him inside and closing the door behind him. he embraces her tightly for a few moments before walking further into the apartment.

her bedroom had been the worst mess of all, blankets and pillowed scattered, opened bags of chips and junk food lying around. he glances at the tv, playing celebrity news. seeing her face on the screen, he sighs and turns the tv off. "don't watch that shit, man."

adele places herself at the edge of her bed, her face still in her palms, "why'd you come? definitely don't want you to see me like this."

he sighs, the bed sinking beside adele and his body filling the empty space. he wraps his arm around her like a blanket, leaning his head over her shoulder. "just wanna be there for you, adele. and how come you didn't tell me about this brandon dude? i could've cheated first to get you in the clear."

she looks up, her heart swelling at his words. "you're too nice. and it's okay, he just never came up."

he nods slightly, staring up at the wall in front of them. "get up."

she groans, hanging her head low. "please don't."

he stands from the mattress, and she lays her back down, sprawling herself out. "first, you gotta shower. then, we're gonna bake."

"bake?" she lets out an airy chuckle, "i don't know shit about baking."

"you think i do? i've just been watching those baking shows recently, looks pretty easy."

"definitely not easy." she cracks a smile at him, visibly amused.

"so, let's bake a cake together!" he exclaims. "hurry and shower, you're getting me excited."

"i didn't even say anything." she defends.

he huffs at her inability to lift herself off of her bed, grabbing her arm and pulling her sluggish body up. "go!"

two hours, a messy kitchen, and an incomplete cake later, the lazy adults lounged leisurely on the living room couch, taking amongst themselves.

abel watches as adele slips her phone out from her pocket, and she glances over at him with a sigh. "what?"

"what?" he raises his eyebrows, waiting for her response. "what are you looking at?"

her lips purse, and she tosses her phone to her side. "my texts with him." she confesses. "did you know he blocked me?"

he shrugs, "no, i didn't."

"i just thought he'd help me through all of this. i definitely didn't expect this.."

"try to understand from his point of view." he encourages. "he's a smaller artist, obviously not trained very much on publicity, from what you've told me. he's confused, and just one of those people who don't have much direction, which may explain why he decided to follow his manager's advice."

"he's a child." she insults, frowning.

"he likes you a lot, adele." abel informs. "that's one thing we know for sure."

"it wouldn't have went down like this if he really did."

"shit happens. and yeah, some of the things he'd done were childish. but just try and understand from his view, even though most of it doesn't make much sense."

she continues with silence, and abel gladly carries on. "you're this, beautiful and successful artist. everyone knows you. you're intimidating, as much as you don't believe it. it gets to people."

she frowns, leaning her head back. "i just don't know what to do."

"it's alright not to know." he says. "just think about it."