CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" Dean protests, Sam laughs loudly, a soft thud is heard as he hits Dean's shoulders.

"Today's the class trip, I have to go soon." She changes the subject, her voice lowering as her smile lessens.

"T-that's today? Are you sure you have to go? I could come pick you up, and you can come with us." Dean tries to persuade her, his voice wavering slightly. He's attitude changes every time she brings up the trip.

"Dean, she can't skip. She has to go. You have to go, bug, so you can get smarter, smarter than your dad." Sam cuts in quickly.

"I know," Dean says quietly to Sam, before he raises his voice slightly for Dakota. "How long is it, Dakota?"

"Only a couple days, we're just lookin' at leaves and stuff." Dakota replies softly, her voice almost too quiet for them to hear. "I got my knife if it makes you feel better."

"You mean my knife?" Sam corrects her, she can hear the joking tone in his voice.

"Pssh, nooo." She says dragging out the 'o'.

"Mhmm." Sam hums, exhaling in a chuckle through his nose.

Dakota looks out the window to see the bus pulling up outside, she sighs as Bobby calls out her name to tell her it's time to go.

"I gotta go, daddy." She sighs again. "Bye Sammy, bye daddy, I love you guys."

"Love you too, Kota." They say at the same time.

She smiles and slowly hangs up the phone, grabbing her bag and heaving it over her shoulder. She jumps down the stairs, smiling at Bobby and grabbing a piece of toast from him. He gives her a look but she just gives him an innocent look before grinning mischievously and biting the toast. She swallows it and hits him playfully on the arm, he rolls his eyes but the corner of his lips twitch up in a smile, he kisses the top of her head and pushes her out the door gently.

"Bye, sweet pea." He calls out, waving as he leans out the door.

"Bye, Bobby! Check in with daddy every once in awhile!" She reminds before running towards the bus quickly, she hops on and slides into the seat next to Isabella. "Hi, Bella." She grins.

"Hey, Dakota. How was your weekend?"

"Uh...good." She settles with a short lie, giving Bella a short smile.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Dakota trudges slowly behind her classmates and teacher, her eyes scanning the trees distrustfully. She shoves her hands into her coat pockets, her right hand curls around Sam's knife with her thumb hovering over the button.

"Keep up, Dakota." Her teacher calls back, Dakota's eyes snap to meet hers and she nods her head quickly, but remains in the back. She stays closer to her classmates but chooses to stray farther back in the group.

Branches crack in the distance like somebody stepped on them, the air breezes through the trees and tosses Dakota's hair over her shoulder. A bad feeling starts to settle in her stomach, she regrets not taking her dad up on his offer to go with him.

Shadows cast over the class like demons haunting them in the evening, the further the sun sank the worse Dakota felt. She knew something wasn't right but also knew nobody would believe her, she couldn't call her dad for help either. For the first time, Dakota felt absolutely alone and helpless.

She takes a deep breath to calm herself down as something races behind her. The teacher decided to set up camp when the sun started to lower itself. Dakota grips onto the knife tightly, her eyes darting across the trees.