(34) - E'tect Vaalsen -

Start from the beginning

The other cat-woman bared her fangs, the tarnished gold bangles that wrapped around her ears jingling. She raised a hand and Margo immediately fell back, fingers trembling across her pendant. The stone had faded even more. How much magick did Margo have left? Enough for a spell? Three?

Abby didn't want the mouse-woman to die, but what could they do against the enemy?

Abby's eyes connected with the Queen's and for a second, they flickered, alive.

My blood, daughter of Celeste Din Wa'anderen. You have my blood. Use it.

Lightning struck the ground beside Abby upending the world. Lain was blown into a pillar that cracked and rained dust on them. Sebbi and Lucy had been blown back. heads cracking off rocks. And Margo— Abby squinted. She couldn't see through the thick blanket of debris.

A hand cut through the haze and Abby reached for it mindlessly. Black fur. Lucy. Or Sebbi. She realized all too late that hand belonged to Commander Feign.

He plucked her off the ground as though she were a sack of gull feathers, smirking all the while. "There's our little hemma guest," he growled.

Hands closed around her neck. She clawed at them as she tried to free herself. Her vision swam, her eyes bulging from her skull. No, she thought. I'm going to die. Feign's cackle rang out in her mind as another bolt of lightning struck down from the sky, blasting a chunk of the Order to orange dust.

My blood, little one. E'tect Vaalsen.

Protect them. Abby knew those words meant, 'protect them.' But how could she? She was a kid, up against trained killers and witches, what could she do except die?

Protect them. Protect Aelurus' future.

Abby's arms fell limp against her sides. Feign's red eyes burned into her memories. All around them, smoke and screams, and fading scenery.

Abby couldn't help them. I can't. I can't do it.

You have been all this time, the voice said. You loved them with all you had. You gave them the life I could not.

Abby snapped awake, the world returning in sharp focus. Behind Feign stood the Queen. The corners of her lips turned upward.

She's smiling, at me, Abby thought.

The Queen gave Abby a stilted nod and the voice in her head whispered, "Thank you."

Abby returned her gaze on Feign. With the last of her energy, she raised a hand and placed in on his arm. His eyes went wide, and the last of his cackling grew silent. Abby opened her mouth, despite her throbbing head, and said, "E'tect Vaalsen."

Feign cocked his head, hand brushing the hilt of the ax strapped to his back.

"E'tect Vaalsen. I protect, blood of my blood."

Abby's head fell forward, and as it did, white light erupted from her skin. Feign was caught off guard and fell back, releasing the girl. Abby gasped for breath. She could see no one. Feel nothing except the light radiating off her skin- warm and calming. A scream cut through the stillness, and as Abby found her baring, she looked up. Feign and his soldiers were on fire, shrieking to the heavens as boiling metal scorched their skin.

The smell alone sent Abby lurching - a mix of burning hair and boiling flesh. Had she done this? Had this been her? Had this...power been inside her the entire time?

The fur around Feign's chin had been burnt off, his red flesh becoming white as flames seared him. With an ear-splitting screech, he lunged at Abby. Abby braced herself for the impact but a flash of silver rammed itself into Feign's side.