Chapter 20: Table's Turned

Anna sat up, leaning against the wall of the room she's been in for two days. Her eyes were heavy. She was tired. But couldn't sleep. Her blue eyes stare out the tiny window next to the bed, seeing nothing but rain pouring down. A few cracks of lightning strikes appear. Thunder roaring loudly throughout the whole house, sometimes causing Anna to jump.

"Hello Anna," a voice spoke as the door opened. Anna slightly turned her head to meet the nurse, but says nothing as she turns her head back. Her eyes focused back out on the pouring rain. "You doing alright hun?" Anna slowly nods her head up and down. The nurse walks over and places her hand over top of Anna's forehead. Her head tilts. She moves her hands down to Anna's cheek. "Oh dear." Quickly, she pulled out a thermometer. "Hun, open your mouth." Anna barely opened her mouth as the nurse stuck the device in. Anna shut her mouth as they waited a moment or two. After those moments the nurse pulled te thermometer out and saw the temperature at 104*. "Anna, do you feel sick hon?"

"I feel tired," Anna coughed. She turned her head and began coughing harder each time she coughed. The nurse quickly grabbed a trash bag from her pack and put it over Anna's mouth as blood began to escape Anna's mouth as she coughed. She stopped coughing, the nurse laid her down, putting the bag to the side. The nurse carefully pulled Anna's shirt up revealing the bandage. Carefully but quickly the nurse took the bandage off seeing Anna's stomach.

"Oh god," the nurse mumbled as her eyes widened. "You have an infection. Hold on dear." The nurse pulled out a walkie talkie and quickly spoke into it. "I need some back up in Anna's room. We need to get her to the office. Now!" Anna looked up to the ceiling feeling weak. Her blue eyes opening and shutting. The door swung open in coming two doctors with a stretcher. They rush over and put the stretcher beside the bed picking up Anna and laying her on it. They quickly make their way out and down the hall, down the stairs. As they proceed Anna begins to cough again. The door opens to the office and they run to a tiny room picking Anna up and placing her on the hospital bed.

"Anna, my name's Dr. Tae," her spoke voice. Anna stare up at the ceiling. "I'm going to put you under so we can help you. Do you trust me?" Anna nodded up and down seeing the doctor turn towards the nurse. A mask went over Anna's mouth and nose, smelling a weird substance.

_______________________

"Is she alright? What happened?" Quinn's voice spoke loudly as Anna's eyes flutter opened.

"She'll be fine," Dr. Tae's voice spoke. "The injury Gregory gave her got infected somehow and well we had to cut her open. It should take a couple weeks, maybe months to heal."

"Okay, but she'll be on bed rest for how long?" Quinn questioned. Anna moved her eyes around, swallowing whatever saliva was lingering in her mouth.

"Two, three days maybe," Dr. Tae paused. "It depends on her. But I don't want her up walking now tomorrow or the next day for sure." Quinn's head nods up and down as the doctor leaves the room. A sigh escapes from Quinn as she walks over. Her eyes meet Anna's.

"Hey you're awake," Quinn spoke pulling up a chair. "How you feeling?" Anna shuts her eyes a moment then reopens them locking with Quinn's once again.

"F-Fine," Anna spoke. Quinn nodded looking down to her lap. "How's Brittany doing?" Quinn picked her head up and gave Anna a small smile.

"She's doing alright. She's getting released today," Quinn paused a moment. "She wanted to surprise you. Don't tell her I told you."

"My lips...are sealed," Anna whispered with a small smile. Quinn chuckled a bit then ran a hand through her hair. "So how long do I gotta be in here?"

"Today and tomorrow-" There was a knock on the door causing Quinn to stop. Her head turned that way. "And then we can move you up to you and Brittany's room." Quinn got up and walked to the door. She opened it to see Brittany. "She's all yours, love." Brittany gives Quinn a smile walking in as Quinn walks out, shutting the door behind her. The ginger haired girl walks over and takes a seat next to Anna.

"Hey, how you feeling?" Brittany asked. A chuckle escapes from Anna's lips. "What?" Brittany's head tilted looking to the tiny brunette.

"Nothing-"Anna paused, then continued. "I'm just growing to hate that question." They both chuckle until Anna stops her arm flying over her stomach. "I shouldn't be laughing, it hurts to laugh."

"Yeah, sorry," Brittany said her eyes scanning Anna's body. "Looks like the tables have turned." Anna locks eyes with Brittany's and nods.

"Looks like it."

"I was going to surprise you too." Brittany shakes her head looking down to her hands, messing with her fingers a bit. "But it's alright. Surprise you a different time, maybe something better."

"Something better? What were you planning Snow?" Brittany smiles and shakes her head.

"Nothing special really. Just wanted you to feel comfortable in this place-" Brittany pauses her head dropping again, yet still a smile on her face. "But I wanted to take you to this special spot in the woods. It's perfect really. And set up a little picnic then at night stare up at the stars and talk about life or whatever." Anna reaches over and grabs Brittany's hand. Brittany's head lifts up so they lock eyes.

"Sounds a bit cheesy but it sounds amazing," Anna whispered, a small smile spread across her lips. Brittany smiles back feeling her heart beating fast. She bites her lip glancing to the ground feeling a weird feeling in her stomach. Butterflies.

"Get some rest, A." Brittany stood both of them still holding each other's hands. "I'll talk with you soon." Brittany walks away, both of them still holding each other's hand till their fingertips slowly escape one another's. Brittany walks out the door as Anna shuts her eyes.