Chapter Fifteen: Little White Lies

I was falling head over heels in love with Ronald. As much as I wanted to be in love with him, another part of me told me that it was the worst idea ever. All he ever did was play around with girls and then leave them right after. I knew that for a fact and I resented him for that. But if that was the case, why did I long so much for him to return the same feelings?

Ronald hoisted me up out of the dip, throwing me into another spin. He was quite the dancer, even if he was drunk. I wondered to myself if this was one of his woman-wooing methods. I twirled around several times before he pulled me into an embrace, his hands wrapped around my waist and our foreheads touching. I looked up into his cloudy green eyes as blush formed on my cheeks. His cheeks were flooded with a tipsy blush, he had a stupid smile on his face, and he reeked of alcohol. Yet somehow in that moment, I still found him attractive.

Ronald's hands snaked further around my waist, pulling the two of us even closer together. As our bodies squeezed against each other, I slipped my hands up to his chest, unsure if I should push away or go along with this. I could feel his hot breath against my skin as he breathed. He bit his bottom lip, looking me up and down. My eyes went wide, and that's when I realized what he was getting at. He was preparing to use me like every other girl he got together with that.

No. I wasn't about to get involved with him like that. I shook my head, our foreheads clanking against each other. I squinted my eyes shut and forced my arms forward, pushing him away from me. His hands slid off of my body and I heard his footsteps against the floor, and then a loud set of crashes. I peeked at the scene, opening one of my eyes as I pulled my arms close to my body. Ronald's body laid sprawled out on the floor, a wooden table and a bar stool on their sides next to him. I winced at the sight, I knew for sure that was my fault. I sighed and shook my head, tucking a few strands of hair behind me ears. "I'm sorry, Ronald, but I'm not going to let you take advantage of me."

I spun on my heel, turning toward the door. I moved to step forward, but I found something holding me back. Groaning and turning my head over my shoulder, I saw Ronald stomach-down on the ground, both of his arms wrapped tightly around my ankle. I scowled, he was acting like a child desperate to keep their parents from leaving. I shook my ankle to try and get him to release, but he only held on tighter. "No, Bri," he mumbled, shaking his head, "I won't use you like that, stay with me."

"No," I stated, lifting my foot up and stamping down on his hand with my heel. He yelped and released my ankle, allowing me to move on my own. I stormed over to the front door of the bar, picking up the the paper bag filled with groceries up from where I had left it by the door. I flipped my head over my shoulder, taking one last look at the scene before I left. I felt a grimace as I looked at Ronald, who struggled to get up of the floor. I took a step out onto the cold streets, slamming the door behind me.

I trudged through the snow, struggling to make my way through the streets. It was really starting to pile up, the snow was already up to the middle of my calves and it was still coming down rather hard. I held a hand up and shielded my eyes, hoping that it would help aid my vision. Letting out a sigh, I began to pick up my pace.

Eventually, I reached a part the streets that had been plowed. My eyes searched over the area, and I began to recognize my surroundings. I spotted a few buildings that I saw the day I first found Lillian. Things were starting to become more familiar to me, and I felt hope inspire inside of me. A small smile crept onto my lips as I walked down the streets, my pace almost sped up to a jog. My head whipped around, searching for any sign of the small girl who was scheduled to die.

As I passed by an alleyway, I heard voices speaking. Furrowing my brows together, I retraced my steps, peering into the alley. There, sitting up against the wall, along with another figure that I couldn't recognize, was Lillian. She sat as still as a stone, her arms wrapped around her legs and her head tilted down to face her lap. I felt myself growing pitiful for her. Without a moment's hesitation, I made my way down the alley.