Chapter Sixteen: Reunion

I stood in front of the mirror placed on the wall beside the door. I furrowed my brows together, untying my tie once again and redoing it. I could never get it exactly how I wanted, but I wanted it to look somewhat nice today. I was going to visit Eric and Alan and I didn't want to look like I had lost the ability to present myself well. As I finished doing my tie, I accepted it that it was as good as it was going to get. Running a hand through my bangs that were in desperate need of a trim, I spun on my heel and walked into the living room.

Of course, the first thing that I laid eyes on when I entered the room was Ronald sprawled out on the couch. I shook my head and sighed, somewhat disappointed in him. He had a room, but he never used it. Ronald always chose to crash on the couch. Ignoring him, I leaned over, picking up Lillian's Cinematic record from coffee table. I flipped the cover open, revealing the main page that told the necessary information about her. Once again, the date of her death had been pushed up like last time. The new date said January eighth, eighteen-eighty nine. I smiled as my eyes drifted over to the picture of her supplied. I thought that I'd do something nice for her today. It was Christmas Eve, after all.

Closing the record and sitting it back down on the table, I looked up to Ronald again. I pursed my lips, wondering what to do with him. I looked back down to all the scattered items on the table and picked up the nearest notepad and pen, writing out a note for Ronald that let him know where I'd be and what I'd be doing. It was starting to become routine for me to do this for him. Attempting to not make an obnoxious noise, I pulled the paper out, gently laying it down on his chest. I stood back up and walked over to the door, slipping my arms into the sleeves of my blazer as I left.

I sped down the stairs of the apartment complex, down to the third floor. I stopped at the base of the stairs, looking around curiously. I had become disoriented and needed a moment to collect myself. I ran the route through my head, and remembered where I was going. Walking down the halls I used to be so accustomed to, I soon found myself standing in front of the door that lead to apartment 318. I sighed, raising my clenched fist up and knocking on the door three times. From inside, I hear someone shout about being right there. Without skipping a beat, the door unlatched and swung open.

Alan stood in the now-open doorway, his eyes glancing. He tilted his head down, his eyes meeting mine as a smile lit up his face. "Brielle," he stated, throwing his arms forward and pulling me into a hug, which I willingly accepted. He rocked me back and forth lightly, beaming down at me. "It's been so long, I haven't seen you in forever!" He exclaimed as he squeezed me tighter.

"Alan," I laughed lightly under my breath as I squinted my eyes shut, unprepared for the sudden squeeze. I peeked one eye open, looking up to him. "It's been a month," I replied, "and sometimes I see you when I'm in the Dispatch building."

"I know that," he stated as he let go of me, dropping his arms to his sides and sticking his hands in his pockets. I hadn't gotten a good glance at him before he pulled me into the embrace, but now I noticed that he wasn't wearing his typical uniform. Instead, he had opted for a red sweater and a pair of dark colored jeans. "It's just been so long since you came home," he paused, giving a little shrug, "why're you still standing there? Come on in!"

Alan backed up slightly, allowing me room to walk inside. I stepped through the doorway, and the first thing that I noticed that was different was the small tree stationed in the corner, decorated with little red and gold ornaments. Next, I looked over to Eric and Remi, who were nestled up on the couch together. Eric perked up once I stepped through the doorway and stood from his seat on the couch. "Hey, Bri Marie," he said, walking into the kitchen, "Merry Christmas, it's good to see you."

"Merry Christmas, good to see you too," I replied with a grin, sitting down on the couch opposite of Remi, who flashed me a smile. I twisted my head over my shoulder, trying to look over at Eric as Alan sat down on the couch next to me. I furrowed my brows together, watching Eric as he fumbled around in the kitchen. "What're you doing?"