Chapter Fourteen: Head Over Heels

I sat in the plush swivel chair in front of my desk, my eyes fixed on the open Cinematic Record book that laid before me. I bit my lip, peering in closer at the page it was on. Ever since I had given Lillian the bread and water a few weeks ago, the date of her death had been brought out. It now read January third, eighteen-eighty-nine. A small smile found its way onto my face as I read the new date. It wasn't even a full week, but I was glad that I could buy her some time. The cause of her death was still starvation, but I was going to do whatever I could to help her out, even if it resulted in punishment for me.

I looked up, gazing out of the window in front of me. It was already mid-December, but not a single snowflake had fallen yet. It hadn't even dropped a single degree, it was just like it was the day I arrived in the Reaper Realm. It was constantly the same, never changing. I tilted my head to the side and narrowed my eyes as I thought. Maybe since this was a different Realm than the one I had grown up in, the weather differed.

I sighed and shook my head, a few hairs falling into my face. I pushed back with my chair, scooting away from my desk. I pushed the chair back in beneath the empty space below my desk. There were more important thing I that I had to focus on than the weather. Flipping the cover of Lillian's Cinematic Record shut, I carried the book with me out into the main room of Ronald and I's apartment. I paused my one of the island counters in the kitchen, setting the record down. I gazed around, noticing how quiet an peaceful it was without Ronald here. I remembered that he had mentioned going out on a date with one of the girls from the Personnel Department. Not matter how hard I tried to convince myself not to be jealous, I couldn't help but feel a pang of envy every time Ronald mentioned that he was out with another girl.

Shaking my head, I stalked over to the sink and flipped it on. I cupped my hands underneath the icy water, splashing it into my face to help me wake up. I gasped on contact, my mind instantly clearing. I didn't need to be jealous of Ronald always being out with his friends or lovers; in fact, his overly busy social life made it perfect for me to sneak off to check on Lillian. He had caught me red-handed when I had given her food before, and I'm sure he'd tell William about my actions if he caught me doing so again. 

I looked up to the clock  on the wall, my mind racing. Ronald hadn't left long ago, and it was still early in the day. He hardly ever arrived home early, most of the time he staggered home past midnight and crashed on the couch. That meant that I'd have plenty of time to head into London, pick up some food for Lillian, and head back home. Ronald would never know.

I darted up and grabbed my blazer off of the coat rack near the door. It wasn't cold in the Reaper Realm, the temperature was actually quite nice. It was the weather in London that I had been worried about lately, every day the temperature was dropping. I slid my hand into my pocket, making sure that I had something to pay with. I nodded when I felt the cash in my pocket, confirming that I had something. I walked out the door, making sure that I locked it on my way out. I exited the building and I was on my way to the Human Realm.

-

I paced through the winding streets of East London like I had a few weeks ago. I peered around with my brows furrowed together, I hadn't remembered where I had met Lillian the first time. Then again, I did suspect that she lived on the streets, meaning she probably didn't stay in the same place for very long, especially with the cold weather settling in. I shifted the paper bag in my arms, peeking down at the contents. I had bought a few fruits, another loaf of bread, and more water, all of which I would give to Lillian. That is, if I ever found her.

I moved the bag to one arm, using my free hand to tuck my long bangs behind my ear. My eyes darted all around, slightly blinded by the falling snow. I narrowed my eyes, squinting into every corner and alley in an attempt to find Lillian. I sighed, knowing that it wouldn't be hard for a child as young as herself to get lost in an area this large. I came to a stop at the corner of the sidewalk, my shoes crunching through the snow. I glanced around, but became easily distracted by nearby laughter.