Paint

Shadow's s p.o.v

"Let's just paint it blue. " River groans.

" No. We need to use a more dull colour. I'll go get the brown paint. "

" But that's boring! We're using blue. " She retorts.

" But River, blue's too bright to use on a shelf! People normally buy brown or black or white, depending on what colour the wall is. " I explain.

" And what if they have a blue wall? " She challenges.

" Aaarrrgggh! "I run my hand through my hair. River and I have done nothing but argue about our project. At this rate we'll be finished with a little piece of wood and nothing else.

"River, our target audience is adults, and I have never seen any adults who have painted their living room bright blue. I mean, that's what you would paint your bathroom, or a little kids bedroom. But not a living room. Okay? We're painting it brown."

River scowls at me. "But Shadow! This is meant to be done in pairs, so we both have to agree! How about...we paint it brown with blue dots?"

My eyes widen. "Are you crazy? River, are you trying to make us fail this thing on purpose?!" I hiss.

"Why are you blaming me for this? At least I tried to compromise!" She crosses her arms, and even stomps her foot.

"Jesus Christ! Stop acting like a moany five year old!"

"Fine then, how about we toss a coin." River smirks at me. "Heads I win, tail you lose."

"Okay...Wait what? That means you win either way." I moan.

"Aww you fell for it!" River exclaims.

"You know what, just because you did that, we're painting it brown" I huff.

"What! No! That's not fair!"

I sigh. "Fine. Lets settle this with...umm..." I glance around my eyes brighten up immediately. "River, lets settle this with a pencil fight!"

River squints at me. " We're going to fight. With pencils ? Don't you think that's a little dangerous. And how exactly do you win the fight?"

I roll my eyes. "Isn't it obvious? Whoever manages to poke the other person first!"

River gasps. She steps forwards and presses her small hand against my forehead. "Are you feeling alright Shadow? You want us to try and stab one another with pencils! "

I shrug away from her hand, although really, I didn't mind her being so close to me. I grin at her shocked face. "Fine. Lets not stab each other! But just so you know, I would have won."

"And I would have died." River replies.

"Well how do you think we should settle this?" I say, amused.

River thinks for a moment. "Shadow, I don't think we need to settle this. We should just paint it blue".

I groan. "No River, we shouldn't. Why don't we jut stick to the original plan, I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere." I peer around for the piece of paper, I clearly remember writing down that we should paint it brown.

River smiles. "Here it is." She pulls out the paper from her bag.

I look at her curiously. Why is she smiling?

I snatch it out of her hand and my eyes run over it quickly. River reads it over my shoulder.

"Oh look Shadow, you wrote that we should paint it blue!" She points out.