Strawberries

Shadows p.o.v

We walked back to Alec's place after our little Chinese adventure as it was closest. Will was there, still moping about, feeling sorry for himself.

Loser.

Eileen made us some quick pasta so we wouldn't go hungry but her and Alec had to go out to visit her sister, some occasion or something. Then Will went home to go mope there. He should definitely cheer up! It was only £50!

River and I are currently sitting on the couch in the empty house, watching How I Live Now.

"We never finished our game." River says, breaking the comfortable silence.

"Oh yeah, whose turn was it?" I say, pausing the film.

"No idea! I was too busy dodging flying soy sauce!" She says with a cheeky smile. I hit her arm playfully and send her my best angry scowl. It doesn't succeed at scaring her though, because she's still grinning at me.

" I want to go then, cause you're mean." I frown. " Do you have any pets?"

" Nope. I'm not a massive animal fan, they are all a bit boring to be honest. You? Got any pets?"

"I used to have a jet black cat called Foxy but she died a year and a half ago." She sends me a sympathetic smile and I shrug. " She was very old, over 100 in cats years so she had a good life. At the moment I have a cocker spaniel called Lola but she lives with my older sister cause me and mum move around so much. Oh, do you have any siblings?"

As soon as I say this, River changes. Her smile drops slightly and her body seems to sink.

" I have... had a brother, called Jack, he was 3 years older than me. I loved him very much."

Oh. Shit. I shouldn't have asked that.

" Oh. I'm sorry. How did he..."

Why did I ask that? Do I want to make it worse for her?

" River, just ignore me."

Her eyes are filled with tears and her breath is fast and shallow. Rather than us arguing like normal when one of us is hurt or upset, I take her into my arms and hold her close. I can feel the cold metal of the chain around River's neck against me.

" Shhh... its okay. Its the past now."

I can feel her silent sobs against my chest and she clutches at my shirt tight.

"Shadow-"

" River." I move her by the shoulders so she is looking into my eyes. "You don't have to say anything. Remember our agreement? I was just being stupid."

As always.

She pushes herself back into my chest and hugs me warmly. I don't know for sure if I heard her right but I think she whispers quietly to herself,

"He will never just be in past. He shattered it."

....

Rivers p.o.v

I sob against Shadow's chest as he embraces me tightly, making me feel safe and protected. He rests his chin on the top of my head and waits patiently for me to calm down. I sniff and a sweet smell of strawberries enters my nose. Mmmm...Shadow smells so nice.

Strawberries. They remind me of that day. My last day of happiness.

.....

" Bye mum! I'm going out now!" I shout. I feel bad leaving her and Dad with Jack. Sometimes I feel as if his moods effect them too. I'm one of the only people that can calm him down - though even I can't sometimes.