3.2- The Very Weird First Quest

Start from the beginning

Was it even right for me to try to change things? Everything happened in stories for a reason. I knew full well about the butterfly effect. What if something much worse happened if I stopped the kidnapping? But then, what if Ahio dies? I must, no had to stop it.

I clenched my jaw and swung open the door.

A cacophony of noise rushed outside. Children ran back and forth, stern officials yelled at them to stop, swordsmen argued over who knows what, and two people were even sparing in the humongous, crowded entrance hall. No sooner did I step inside than two kids bumped into me. I caught myself and speed-walked to the information desk. A queue stood in front of it. It looked like a long wait. I hated doing this sort of thing, but today I bulldozed right to the front, the glares of some twenty people burning my back. A man with a brown ponytail stood behind the desk and gave me a dirty look.

'You have to wait your turn.'

I placed my arms on the table as the man beside me mumbled about 'kids these days'. 'This is important. I need to speak to the Minister. May I have directions to his office?'

The receptionist massaged his forehead, a drop of sweat trickling down his nose. 'No can do. Meetings with Minister Banji are by appointment only. You have to take it up with his secretary.'

I balled my fists. Just as I opened my mouth to protest, static rang in the air, making me jump.

A woman's booming voice emanated from the many speakers overhead. 'Swordsman Tahro Akagi is required to come to the Third Grade Quest Master's office immediately. I repeat, Swordsman Tahro Akagi is required to come to the Third Grade Quest Master's office immediately.'

I unfurled my fists and took my elbows off the desk. What's going on? I was supposed to go to room number twenty, to meet my replacement team.

The receptionist whistled, shifting some papers. 'Must be an emergency quest. Wonder what happened.'

Several cogs spun in my brain fast. The Quest Master wasn't the first person I'd choose to tell such a secret. Not even the top ten. She was a rude, inconsiderate woman, and I did not like her. But telling her directly was better than wasting my time here. She might even get the Minister involved herself.

The receptionist rolled his eyes 'Okay, kid, you're holding up the--'

But the rest I didn't hear because I raced through the crowd. My footfalls added to the noise, and everything and everyone around me faded into the background.

Before I knew it, I stood huffing and puffing in the waiting room, near the door over which hung a huge silver plaque saying, Quest Master. My stomach knotted, and my hands and feet prickled. I heard nothing but my heartbeat. After a moment of hesitation, I opened the door.

What I saw hitched my breath.

The Quest Master sat behind her table, her face set into a frown. It was the first I saw her in colour, she'd always been in the black and white pages. She was brown-skinned, had very wavy chocolate hair with blonde highlights and wore a yellow kimono top. Her chubby arms lay upon the desk, which was weighed down by towers of paperwork. In front of her were my teammates.

A bell-shaped girl with short hair gave me a small, encouraging smile. Two hooked swords hung behind her and formed a cross. Behind her was a tall and thin boy wearing mostly black and a pair of spectacles. His long bangs almost hid his ponytail. On his shoulder stood a little blue cat-like creature. Closest to the door was a short, pale boy wearing light clothes. The soft colours seemed like they would've made the boy vanish if it weren't for his large, effeminate eyes.

The tall boy smiled shyly, his glasses twinkling. In contrast, the very young-looking kid had on a small frown. The little creature yawned and stretched.

My anxiousness sprang out to its strongest form, stopping just short of a panic attack. My limbs became numb as if they were about to fall from their joints. I think I gaped.

It was none other than Kaede, Tsubasa and Daisuke.

February 1. Fourteen and a half years old. Japan.

My vision cleared out, sparks filling in the details of my room little by little. I shook my head. After all those nights wishing, for the first time since I'd split, both my minds had merged and been in one world.

A/N: I hope this chapter wasn't confusing. Please tell me if you need anything clarified ^^!