-8-

My mind was heavy with weariness one moment. Too slow to think. Deep in a slumber. The next, it was like a weight was suddenly lifted, and I jolted awake.

"Right?" Winter's voice asked. "Isn't it super sudden?"

I glanced around, blinking. The two girls were positioned on the other side of the van, Winter sitting with crossed legs, and Cindy with her head in Winter's lap. Without saying anything, I soaked in Cindy's new assortment of clothes. Winter must've helped her change, and, by the looks of it, cleaned most of the blood. She now wore black converse sneakers; light grey leg warmers; black tights; dark grey denim shorts that frayed at the bottom; a sleek, black, rhinestone-covered belt; a black, long-sleeved shirt; and finally, a light grey vest.

"You're not wearing your combat boots," was the first thing that popped into my head. Wow, Light. Really? That's not weird that you know she wears those all the time. At all. Just the average older brother of the best friend. Not at all a guy with a crush.

She snorted. "Geez, Light, you sure focus on the important things. I had to wash out all the mud from the League's attack. They're drying outside. But Slade said I had to wear some shoes, so I just put these on."

I propped myself up on my elbows, frowning at the light. "How long was I asleep?"

"Around an hour," Winter said. She played with Cindy's hair. She pointed outside, where I saw Slade walking towards us.

"Dustin, Winter," he said, motioning for us to join him.

"Careful," Cindy warned as Winter placed her head on the ground.

When we were following Slade, we passed the guys, and Winter asked, "Anything happen?"

Max shook his head. Anthony went to go join Cindy.

"Dustin, stay here," Slade ordered. "I'll come back to show you where you'll be." He and Winter disappeared in the underbrush.

"How you holding up?" Max asked me.

"Well, I want to punch something, if that says anything."

"Same." He then nodded towards Anthony and Cindy. "What do you think will happen to them?"

"Why? Because of their powers?"

"Because they still have parents. I think that's what Anthony was talking to Slade about."

I glanced to the two. I couldn't believe I hadn't even considered that before. I didn't know much about Cindy's parents, but Anthony's dad was my church's pastor, and his mom was one of the  ladies' main leaders. They must've been worried sick. And Anthony must've missed them a ton.

I never got to answer Max. Slade came back then and took me to a new location. The sun had sunk lower in the sky, but we still had at least an hour. Looking at my new, G.U.A.R.D.-issued watch, I found it to be around seven.

A few moments later, Slade motioned to a tree.

"Climb this. You'll have a clear view of the camp. Here." He handed me an earpiece. "Radio if you find anything suspicious. I already told Winter it's only for emergencies."

I nodded and popped it in my ear. I felt a little nervous energy build up in my system. Being caught right now was not what we needed.

Slade left before I got on my second branch, but I didn't need his help to continue up. A few twigs snagged at my jeans and jacket, but I brushed them off, finally stopping at a peaceful nook that could overlook the enemy camp. Settling on the thick branch in a relatively comfortable position, I looked at the League of Blood. It was at a distance, but was close enough to see a few things. Like how there were multiple cars parked side-by-side in an organized manner at the edge. A lot of tents were pitched, as well. They seemed to form a circular shape, with one at the very center. Just as my eyes rested on it, the tent flap opened, and a figure stepped out. Quickly, I dug in my pockets for something that could help me see better. Ah! The mini binoculars.