Chapter 39~ Empty hearts and new laws

3

You curled up in the sheets of your shared bed, head hidden under the massive blanket.

Everything was going so wrong. Why did it have to happen? What did those poor kids do to warrant such a reaction?

It hurt you. It hurt you deeply to see Toriel and Asgore without their usual spark. It felt as if they were completely new people replacing your friends and pretending to be the once teasing and happy couple.

A quiet knock on the door grabbed your attention. With a quiet sigh you told whoever was behind them to come in.

The door opened to reveal Gaster, his expression tired with what looked like bags under his eyes. If that was even possible for skeletons to have.

You scooted to the side of the bed, making some room for him to get in.

Gaster joined you under the covers, wrapping his arms around you and leaning his head against your shoulder with a tired sigh.

"How are they?" You asked the same question you asked everyday for the past three weeks.

"Same as yesterday angel. Burying themselves in their work as means to forget. Though there is something that you might be concerned with" You turned your head to look down at your boyfriend, only to see him get up.

You two were now sitting on an eye level and, considering his expression, you felt like the news won't be good.

"Asgore wants to make a new law..." Gaster started and you tilted your head to the left.

Was it really so bad? Asgore only made laws when it was necessary, so what could it possibly be?

"He wants any new human to be either killed with their souls brought to him or escorted right to him so he can do it himself."

Your face paled and you almost felt sick at the words that left Gaster's mouth. Surely Asgore wouldn't do something so drastic right? It's just grief and he'll see through it soon and take it back.

"He... He's going to use them to break the barier and, right now, I fear it might be for revenge and not freedom." Gaster finished and he didn't look happy with that was being made either.

"He can't! He can't, right? I mean he is the king but Toriel wouldn't allow him to make such a decision! What if the human is another kid?" You were starting to panic, both for the safety of anyone new that might fall in and your own.

Gaster said humans, but would he also consider angels outlawed? And if he did, would that include you? Were your friends going to turn on you the moment the law is created? Was it selfish to think about yourself now?

Gaster noticed your panicked expression and shaky breathing. He brought you close to him again and pulled you against his chest, stroking your hair with one hand and massaging your back with the other.

"Shhhh. It will be fine. Toriel is fighting against it. She might be able to stop Asgore from making that decree."

You nodded quietly, hands clutching the back of Gaster's coat as you calmed down.

Gaster was right. After all, Toriel was always caring. She would never let Asgore make a law that would mean innocents were going to be harmed.

There was nothing to be worried about.

ΩΩΩ

The law was officially announced two weeks later by Asgore. Toriel was nowhere to be seen during it, or after it for that matter.

The only thing guards found was her crown neatly put away on the table in what was once Asriel's and Chara's room.

You didn't know what to think. It felt as if the world turned around and definitely not in a good way.

Although Asgore did reassure people that you or any angel you can vouch for are not to be hurt, you still felt uneasy to say at least.

You feared that, if you were to leave the house, your once friends would look at you with distrust.

That and you feared for the humans that might fall in. What if it's going to be a child? Would they still attack them?

The questions swirled your mind for the next days to come as you tried your best to act unbothered by it.

Everyone could see right past your mask though.

The shifts at Grillby's felt just a tad calmer and the customers just a had quieter. Even your kids were making less trouble, though you still had to scrape hidden candy off from the couch sometimes.

It was a nice distraction.

Although time felt like it had slowed down after the law was made, everything seemed the same, which you were glad for.

Even Dogaressa and Dogamy approached you after your shift one day and gave you an invite to their wedding! Which would happen in about a month.

It seemed like the world was slowly moving on from the recent events and maybe you should too...

"You don't have to be alone-"

Sorry for the shitty chapter guys. Didn't really know how to write it. It's supposed to be important but it does feel like a filler.

Anyways I promise the next few chapters will be fluff! You deserve some time off from the pain.

Love you! Stay safe and remember to hydrate! <3