V - Into The Deep Blue

His white hair was slit back against his head

He wasn't as big as Mizuko, though they both seemed to be in their early twenties, Mizuko was bigger, broader than him. But even through his suit, I could see Nereus was ripped; a soldier built for battle.

He was slowly stepping closer to me. I inched back, careful not to get too close to the rocky edge, or anywhere close to the ocean for that matter. Who knows what else would pop out of there.

I tried to muster force behind my words, but they escaped my thin lips quietly. "I saved him from the shore. Where you put him to die."

He grinned devilishly. "Oh, so he's told you the story, has he? Knowing Zuko, I'm sure he left out the good parts."

He didn't even try to deny the fact that he tried to kill him.

When he called Mizuko by a nickname I couldn't help but wonder what kind of past they shared. How did they know each other? And what happened between them to spark a war?

"You're a brave human to stick around, but you're on the wrong side, darling. Your world doesn't belong here, and soon enough your kind will be shown your place." I watched as he carelessly twirled his silver trident between his fingers. "Atlantis won't remain hidden for long once I am King." He promised with an unsettling grin.

As cool of a movie as that might have made, the idea of sea creatures attacking the surface—now that I had the chance to experience it first-hand—was frightening.

"You're not the prince. Mizuko will stop you." I tried to stand my ground. But the seaman hardly saw me as a threat. How could he? I shrunk with every step he took towards me.

"Ah, smart human." He amusedly clapped. "Now you see why there's a need to kill that nagging krill of a prince."

Clearly, humans are of no care to the Atlantean's. So what did he want with me?

He stepped closer, cutting the distance between us in half in his big stride. Though I had told myself not to step away, in my fright, I inched back.

By the time I realized what he was doing, it was too late.
I noticed Mizuko's trident was between us. I lunged forward to grab it first, but I was too slow.

Mizuko had called it something about a 'First King', surely this weapon was a greater deal than I had first imagined.
And now Nereus had the power to wage war against Mizuko's world—I swallowed thickly—and mine.

How could I have been so blind? I let my fear cloud my sense. I should have seen what he was going for, I should have stopped him. I could have done more.