060 : wedding day part two

Start from the beginning

But he didn't care. He had to carry out a duty, as her best friend at the very least.

With a total lack of confidence, but full burst of knowledge in what he was going to say, Tom's head turned downwars slightly so his eyes were exploring Scarlett's, taking a deep breath, sighing almost.
"I love you."

The words alone immidiately created a gaping distance between the friends, Scarlett's knees no longer reassuring Tom, her hands pushing her to the other door of the back seat of the car. She was panting heavily, tears blurring her vision.

"No you don't." She whimpered, her head seemingly never not shaking in all Scarlett's disbelief.

Tom crawls closer to Scarlett in the enclosed space of the car, and she closes her eyes, wanting the dream, nightmare, whatever it was to end.

"I do, I wouldn't joke about something like that. I'm in love with you." Tom repeats, more confidently this time. Tom saw in his perephial vision thay the driver of the car was getting all he could hear, his eyebrows raised and eyes widened visible in the rear view mirror.

Scarlett pushes Tom away angrily, to his surprise.
"Don't fucking do this. Not today. Don't be selfish." She pleads, but Tom shakes his head in defiance, earning a shocked scoff from Scarlett, who had tears spilling down her face.

"I need to. I can't live the rest of my life beating myself up because I never ballsed up and just asked you out when we both knew we loved eachother." Tom stammers, clasping his hands together as the anxiety built up inside him like acid.

A bellowing silence followed, and Tom stared at his best friend. Her undereye was smudged black, her eyes were bloodshot and puffy, and her hands wouldn't stop trembling. Tom would take her hand, but he'd worry she'd kill him in response.

"You wouldn't have told me unless you had something to your advantage." Scarlett whispers, breaking the deafening silence. Tom whipped his head up, feeling the back of his throat dry up as he attempted to swallow and moisten it.

"What's your advantage?" She asks, more pressing this time as the car came to a slowing halt outside the church. Tom peeked and saw Oliver making a face at Tom, asking why he was in the car instead of Joan and why they weren't getting out.

"Theo." Tom squeaks, his hand raising to Oliver to signal they'd be a minute. Scarlett rolls her eyes, scoffing loudly.

"Can you leave for a moment, please? I need to talk to my best man." Scarlett aims the command at the driver, who nods nervously, opening and closing the driver's side, and Tom saw Camila and Chris approach him with demands and questions.

"You have a problem, Tom. Stop trying to implicate my husband, to ruin my life, just because you love me!" Scarlett screams at her highest volume, her patience now run dry. Tom swallows thickly, pressing his lip into a thin line in shame, but shakes it off.

No, he had to do this.

"Are you even listening to me? You're just going to occupy yourself on your phone, like a fucking coward?" Scarlett presses as she watches Tom idly take his phone out of his pocket, noticing Scarlett was pink in fury.

Scarlett's mouth opened once more to continue her rant, to demand Tom he'd answer her first question, but it was cut off when Tom's voice echoing through the speaker on his phone.