Chapter 50: Renesmee

En başından başla

"When will Carlisle be back?" Jacob asked, still whispering.

"By noon tomorrow." Jacob's breath faltered as the images of the flesh-tearing baby ripped through Bella's abdomen again. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I am truly sorry for the discomfort and unsureness this causes you, Jacob. Though you hate me, I must admit that I don't feel the same about you. I think of you as a... a brother in many ways. A comrade in arms, at the very least. I regret your suffering more than you realise. But Bella is going to survive" - when he said that his voice was fierce, even violent - "and I know that's what  matters to you. So I hate to do this now, but, I have to ask you for something - to beg, if I must."

As I pondered over what Edward was going to ask we entered the house. Jasper immediately disappeared into his study, no doubt to continue his research, and Alice and I continued up the stairs, parting ways as she went to her bedroom instead. Most likely for an outfit change, the fresh smell of animal blood would do nothing to help Rosalie and Edward's case.

"I know how much you have given," Edward continued quietly. "But this is something you do have, and only you. I'm asking this of the true Alpha, Jacob. I'm asking this of Ephraim's heir." My ears peaked in interest as I walked past Bella and Rosalie and into the kitchen. "I want your permission to deviate from what we agreed to in our treaty with Ephraim. I want you to grant us an exception. I want your permission to save her life. You know I'll do it anyway, but I don't want to break faith with you if there is any way to avoid it. We never intended to go back on our word, and we don't do it lightly now. I want your understanding, Jacob, because you know exactly why we do this. I want the alliance between our families to survive when this is over."

Jacob was protesting inside his head, he believed that Sam was the right person to ask...

"No. Sam's authority is assumed. It belongs to you. You'll never take it from him, but no one can rightfully agree to what I'm asking except for you."

"It's not my decision." Jacob countered.

"It is, Jacob, and you know it. Your word on this will condemn us or absolve us. Only you can give this to me. We don't have much time."

"Yes. You can break the treaty, you have my permission." Jacob said strongly, the new power in his voice made it clear that he had decided this was it now. He accepted Edward's words, although he wasn't fond of him, they were family, because Edward was mine as well.

Their conversation ended then and I brought my attention back to what was going happening on this floor. Bella and Rosalie were watching some random cooking show on the television. I was surprised she was awake but once I noticed the cup on the coffee table in front of them I guessed she had been thirsty.

"Why are you so dirty?" Rosalie asked, her nose turned up slightly at my state.

I looked down at my jeans, they were smeared with dried mud... maybe I should've changed.

"We ran into a little problem." I explained and Rosalie's eyes flared as Bella became alarmed.

"Is everyone okay?!" She asked trying to sit up, Rosalie turned her attention back to Bella to help prop her up.

"Everyone's fine." I clarified, walking over to them to take a seat on the coffee table in front of them. "Carlisle, Esme and Emmett will be back tomorrow. The wolves must have realised Jacob's pack went scouting further out and caught their scents. We were running along the trail Jake made so they followed us."

"Will they get back alright?" Bella asked before reaching for her blood cup. Rosalie leaned forward and handed it to her.

"I told them to use the trees, even if the wolves hear them up there they would be safe until they cross the perimeter line around the house, our wolves would intervene then."