Learning To Love Him 16

Start from the beginning

"Did someone try to kidnap you? Is that why Joe's so obsessed with protecting you?" I smirked.

"No." He said.

"Someone beat you up?" I pressed.

"What's it to you?" He asked.

"Just trying to develop a conversation." I shrugged, "Was it because you're gay? Did you try and hit on him?" I asked, he looked down. "Or does he hate you? No? Of course not. No one hates you. Well, except me and the person that slit your neck, of course." I said.

"Shut up." I heard him mutter, his voice exhausted and a little pained.

"Ah. He curses. Must have struck a nerve." I don't know why I found pleasure in making him angry, I guess I just wanted him to hate me as much as I did him, as much as I wanted to keep hating him. If we both hated each other maybe the mate pull would go away. That was a stupid thought from me. "Was it a friend? Or family member? Did someone in your family decide they had enough of you? I me –" I was saying.

"Fuck you!" He cut me off loudly. A little too harshly and that made me want to bring his fear back, so he would respect me.

I was on the other side of the room in a split second, he smashed against the wall as I shoved him, my fist full of the fabric on the front of his shirt. He was shaking as I ran my other hand onto his throat.

"What did you say?" I asked. I could see my eyes had gone black from their reflection in his eyes, I guess just those two words really ticked me off. I didn't really know why. Was it because he had never actually spoken to me that way and I wasn't expecting it this time? "Don't make me angry," I whispered tightening my grip on his neck. He didn't even try to pull my hand away, made no move to get away.

"I said 'fuck you.'" The words came through grit teeth as he glared up at me, "You don't scare me." His shaking hands said differently, he averted his eyes from mine and they fell onto my neck, "You don't scare me." He repeated softly. Trying to convince himself? "Can't do any worse than they've already done." I barely heard it, and I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to hear it because it sounded like he was talking to himself, but I did. They?

"What?" I asked. I felt him freeze under my grip and knew for sure I wasn't meant to hear what he had said.

"Nothing." He said.

"No, no. They? I can't do worse? Exactly what have they done? And who are 'they'? Did someone really hurt you?" I asked. Why did it matter? I didn't know. I didn't care. Or at least I wasn't supposed to.

"No." He said.

"Liar. Who are 'they'?" I demanded.

"Why would you care?! Just get away from me! It's none of your business! Leave me alo –" he froze when I smacked him softly. He looked up at me, his face a mixture of shock and surprise. "Tha-that wasn't hard." He mumbled.

"It was meant to shut you up, not hurt you." He seemed even more shocked by my confirming that. I frowned down at him. "I'm losing my patience, Jayden. Answer my fucking questi –"

"Corey! Enough! Get away from him." I glared down at Jayden when Sean's voice came from behind me. I shoved my mate so that he slammed against the wall, my hand unintentionally slamming into his abdomen causing him to fall onto his knees coughing. I considered helping him up but quickly changed my mind and turned to Sean. "That's it. You two aren't allowed in the same room alone. I will have no deaths on this trip! You'll get what you want but until then you stay the hell away from him, Corey. I'm sick of all this shit between you two. Act like the damn Beta you're supposed to be and not a child!" Sean said. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever." I glanced back at Jayden, "I'm not done with you." I said before walking out.

------

*Jayden*

"What was that about?" Sean asked me as he held out his hand to me. I took it and let him help me up as I yawned.

"Nothing big." I shrugged smoothing my shirt out.

"He was about to strangle you, Corey may not be the nicest person to you but it would take a lot from anyone to make him almost kill them," Sean said.

"I cursed at him," I said.

"Maybe it will take a little less from you." Sean corrected his previous words. I chuckled. 'Maybe'?

"Why would you curse at Corey? Everyone knows he has a short temper." Sean said, "Kinda like me." He mumbled. I smiled.

"He made me," I said, it was true. He had. I sighed. I really need to get some sleep...

"Have you slept? No offence, but you look like shit." Sean said. I chuckled. I had been up all night unable to drift off which was why I had moved to the kitchen to avoid waking Kaden up with my tossing and turning.

"Yeah? I'll go get some sleep." I mumbled before I stumbled my way out of the kitchen.

"Don't hurt yourself." Sean chuckled from behind me.

"I'll try not to." I smiled before I went to my room.

Once inside, I let out a sigh falling onto my bed. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, but it was worth a try. Especially since I would be seeing Finn later.

*****