Chapter 12

I sat in the car and put my head in my hands. I should be happy. My plan worked. Sean noticed Danni and how amazing she is. He pulled her over to the side to ask her out I’m sure, which means she was going to be beyond excited. I needed to be happy for her. No matter how much it hurt me. I was her best friend and I had to be supportive.

I shouldn’t have walked out on her like that. I let out a loud groan and leaned back in my chair, closing my eyes. My head was starting to pound. Why did this have to be so complicated?

Suddenly, the passenger door swung open making me jump.

I snapped my eyes open and turned to see Danni, her expression unreadable, but there definitely seemed to be something bothering her.

“What’s wrong?” I asked her. I swear if that jerk hurt her…

“Nothing.” She said through her teeth.

“Danni… what’s wrong? What did he say to you?” I asked her seriously, sitting up in my seat and turning to face her.

“Sean? Oh, he asked me out. We’re going to see a movie together tomorrow night.” She said nonchalantly, still not making eye contact with me. My heart sank in my chest.

“Oh… t-that’s great.” I said trying to sound happy for her, but failing terribly. “Then why do you sound so upset?” I asked her.

“Because I am upset.” She said.

“No shit. Why?” I asked become impatient and angry.

“Why did you just leave me like that?” her voice suddenly sounded fragile and weak.

“It was too stuffy in there. I needed some fresh air.” I said looking away from her.

“So this car is much better? Liam…” she started turning so she was fully facing me. “We never finished our conversation from earlier.” She said biting her lip nervously. “What has been up with you recently?” she sounded so done. Done with everything. Done with me.

“I don’t know. I haven’t been feeling myself. I’m sorry. Okay? I’m sorry I haven’t been the friend you want me to be. I’m sorry I haven’t been as supportive as I should be. I’m just…” I stopped myself. In love with you? Is that the right answer?

She looked me in the eyes and I saw her searching my gaze for more answers. I quickly looked away. She had Sean now. She doesn’t need me.

“Look, I’m really happy for you.” I said and forced a smile. “You have a big day tomorrow. Why don’t I get you home?” I said and started the car. She nodded and smiled, obviously thinking about what was in store for her day tomorrow.

It was a silent ride back to her house, which was only a minute or two away.

“Thanks.” She said. I nodded in response. “Do you want to uhh, come over tomorrow and help me get ready for my date. I could really use the emotional support.” She asked warily. I looked down and let out a long breath.

“Sorry, I think Evan and I are doing something together tomorrow night.” I lied. I shouldn’t do this. I should be there for her. But how am I supposed to get her ready just to send her off on a date with another guy? I can’t do that. I’m not strong enough for that.

She bit her lip and looked down, nodding disappointedly. Guilt fluttered in my chest. I sighed and opened my door, getting out of the car.

“I’ll walk you to the door.” I mumbled, walking around to her side of the car and grabbing her guitar out of the back seat.

“Do you want to come in. We could just talk… or I could make you something to eat.” She asked nervously. I closed my eyes and shook my head again.