Chapter 15

"Lucy? Can I come in?"

Lucy turned to see Happy hovering by the open window. She smiled at the exceed, even though he was a painful reminder of her times with Natsu. However, she didn't blame Happy for anything.

"Sure, come on in, but stay quiet, Austin's sleeping," she said. Of course, as soon as she said the words, Austin let out a gurgle then a babbling of words. "Well, supposed to be sleeping," she revised with a sigh.

She motioned Happy towards the kitchen, away from the nursery. "If we're not right next to him, he'll fall asleep."

Happy flew into Lucy giving her a long hug. "I missed you, Lucy! I'm so sorry about everything that happened!" He began to cry.

"Hey, Happy! No need for that! It wasn't your fault," Lucy said, her mothering instincts kicking in as she comforted Happy.

Happy sniffed, but managed to control his tears. "I hate that Natsu did what he did, but he felt he needed to. He was really upset about it." He looked up at her, noticing the tears in her eyes. "Do you hate him?"

"I don't know," Lucy answered honestly. "I was hurt and depressed for a long time. I still am a bit, I guess, although having Austin helps," she said, her eyes glancing at the other room.

"Is Natsu the father?" he asked.

Lucy let out a sigh. There was no need to lie to the exceed. He'd find out eventually. "Yes. Did he figure that out?"

Happy snorted, then gave a bark of laughter. "Natsu? Are you kidding?"

Lucy gave a wry smile. "I found out long after you guys had left. I was already four months pregnant, I think."

Happy sighed, looking sad again. "Lucy, I want to tell you why he left and why he did what he did, but Natsu would be mad at me if I tell."

"Happy, I don't want him mad at you - "

"But I'm going to, anyway!" the exceed interrupted. "I don't care if he's mad. I'll just leave out some of the details he'd be most mad about if I told. What he did was wrong! You see, it happened when we were on the council's mission with Gajeel. Natsu started to feel weird so when he came back, he went to Porlyusica. She guessed what might be wrong and he went to the Master. The Master gave him advice on what to do. Natsu was worried that he couldn't stop the change and would end up hurting you or the guild, so he thought the best thing to do was leave. If he couldn't find a cure, then he didn't want you to worry, so he told you he didn't want to be with you anymore, right?"

Lucy was confused. "He was sick, he went to look for a cure, but was afraid if he couldn't find one he'd turn into a monster and hurt us? Is that it?"

Happy shook his head. Then nodded. Then sighed. "Something like that. I just want you to know that he still loves you and he only did what in his tiny brain he thought was the right thing to do even if it wasn't!"

He paused. "Lucy, do you hate him?"

Lucy had to think about it for a moment. What she felt wasn't hate, she knew, but she couldn't put a name to it. "I don't hate him," she finally said, "but I honestly don't know how I feel towards him now."

"Oh." Happy looked sad again. He thought about Mira's offer for help. Maybe Mira could explain it better?

"I know Natsu still loves you," Happy sighed. "Do you think you love him?"

Lucy bowed her head. She finally whispered, "I just don't know, Happy. I'm sorry."

Happy sighed. He really needed to talk to Mira. "Okay, Lucy. I'm going to go and check on Natsu, okay?"

"You do that, Happy," she told him, her head still bowed.