Chapter 1

Present Time:

"It felt weird waking up alone, didn't it?" giggled Levy as she gave her best friend a hug. It felt like forever since they had been able to spend time together. Between Gajeel and Natsu, both had been otherwise occupied.

"It did," Lucy admitted, returning the blue-haired mage's smile. She shrugged. "Whatever mission the Master wanted them to go on started awfully early this morning!" Giggling, she added, "I was actually cold without my little heater!"

"I wonder why Master would send the two of them together, though," Levy replied in a thoughtful tone. "It's not like they get along that well. Do you think he also sent Wendy and Laxus? Maybe it was something that called for all the dragon slayers to go together?"

"I guess not," Lucy answered, watching Wendy and Carla enter the guild and head over to where they were sitting.

"Hi Lucy, Levy. How are you doing today? It's been awhile since we've seen you around the guild!" Wendy chirped.

Carla, her white exceed, leaned over and whispered something in Wendy's ear which made the young dragon slayer blush. Levy rolled her eyes in Lucy's directions. It really wasn't necessary for Carla to give Wendy a "family life" lesson!

"It's good to see you too, Wendy. Done any good jobs lately?" Lucy asked, trying to distract the girl from her embarrassment.

She grinned at Lucy and sat down beside her, telling the two mages about her latest job with Erza, one of their guild mates.

Mira, the white haired mage who served as the guild's bartender and cook, sauntered over to their table.

"It's good to see you two back in one piece!" she joked, winking at the group. She turned to Wendy. "Erza's been singing your praises ever since you two returned! She's convinced you're up for the S-class trials this year!" Mira smiled, then set down glasses in front of each female. "Thought you'd want your favorites!" With that, she sauntered away.

"Mira's amazing!" Wendy gushed, then attacked the sundae that Mira had brought her. Lucy sipped on her shake and Levy played with her straw, pushing down the fruit in her drink.

"So, Wendy," she asked, "do you know what the master sent Gajeel and Natsu to do?"

Wendy paused with her spoon in the air, shaking her head. "No, but I do know that Lily and Happy were allowed to go with them. They apparently were requested by the magic council, though!"

"Oh geeze," sighed Lucy, "how much is that going to cost us?"

Levy nodded solemnly. "I love the big lug, but the damage he and Natsu could cause? Not to mention, Gajeel still thinks he's in good with the council. Not sure how much influence he has, really," she sighed.

"You should have a little more faith in your . . . " Carla began, then stopped. "Who am I kidding? They're bound to make a mess of things!"

The group laughed, then groaned as they thought of the master's reaction to whatever consequences the guild would face.

"Either way, they should know what they were requesting," Lucy replied. "I just hope they come back soon." Noticing the others looking at her, she blushed.