Chapter 9

"I'm what?" Lucy's eyes felt like they were bugging out of her head as she stared at Wendy, whose face was bright red.

She had to wait a week for Wendy to get back but since she was still having stomach troubles, she asked Wendy to her apartment.

"I mean, I'm pretty sure, but if you want a second opinion," Wendy began, not sure what to say.

"No, I trust you, Wendy," sighed Lucy. "It's just that it wasn't what I was expecting you to say. A weird virus or something, but not this!"

"Um, I'm not sure how far along you are. You'll have to go ask an expert about that," Wendy blushed again. "Porlyusica hasn't gotten that far in my training yet."

"Well, maybe you can practice on me," Lucy sighed. She was trying to calculate her last menstrual cycle. It was pretty obvious though - it happened during that month with Natsu.

"Really?" Wendy's face lit up. "That would be wonderful, Lucy!"

She couldn't disappoint her favorite dragon slayer, so she gave Wendy a hug. "Of course! Only, please don't tell anyone else right now? I have a little bit of time before I start showing, I think, so I'd like to get used to the news first."

"Oh, of course!" Wendy said, making a motion around her mouth. "My lips are sealed! Only, I might have to tell Porlyusica," she said slowly, biting her lip.

"Only her," Lucy sighed. "We'll need to keep this under wraps for awhile."

Wendy nodded, then thought about what it would be like to carry a baby herself. She blushed, not wanting to picture herself making a baby with someone. She shook her head to dismiss the image of Lucy and Natsu - who was obviously the father - together.

"Um, Wendy? I need some time alone to process this," Lucy apologized, not wanting her friend's feelings hurt.

"Oh, of course!" Wendy chirped again. "Let me know if there's anything I can do! Oh wait!" Wendy reached into her bag and pulled out a vial. "I think this might help with your morning sickness. It shouldn't hurt the baby at all. I used it with Asuka when she was having a stomach virus."

Lucy thanked her then walked Wendy to the door. After shutting it, she went and sat down on her couch, feeling stunned. Of all the consequences to happen, she was pregnant with Natsu's baby. Natsu, the one who told her she was a mistake, that he was never meant to be with her anyway.

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes. What was she going to do? Caring for herself was one thing, but caring for a baby? Being a mother to a child? She felt scared, but also felt another emotion rising. Her hand moved to her still flat stomach and she felt a fierce protection fill her. This was HER child. She would take care of it and even without a father, she would make sure this child got the best of everything! She had a small Heartfilia growing inside her. She refused to think of it as a "Dragneel." Would it be a celestial wizard, like her? She remembered her own mother telling her that in every generation, a daughter had been born with celestial magic. It had started with her ancestor, Anna. She had lost track of how many "greats" she was back. She only wished her own mother, Layla, was here to be grandmother to her child.

Babies took nine months. Natsu had impregnated her in February. It was now June. So, she was four months along? She let her hand slide along her stomach, frowning when she didn't feel any signs of a baby bump. When was it she would begin to show? How long did she have this secret to keep to herself until she had to share it with the guild? How would they react, knowing that she was pregnant? Should she lie, saying that she had a one night stand and didn't know the father? No, they wouldn't believe that. They'd know it was Natsu's. She didn't want the sympathetic glances she'd get. Poor Lucy, a single mother, the father having rejected her and her child.

Her fists clenched. No. This was HER child. Who the hell cared who the father was! Let them speculate! She wasn't stupid - she knew they didn't talk about him when she was around. Heaven knows what they said when she wasn't! She would take their sympathy and shove it in their face! She wouldn't let them look down on her for not having a partner. And if Natsu were to return? Well, then, she'd just deal with it then. He didn't have to know he was the father.

Maybe she'd get a baby book and read more about it. She wanted to be well informed and make sure her baby got the best treatment possible.