sixteen

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

THIS FEELING

CHAPTER SIXTEEN[ N A T A L I A ]

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
[ N A T A L I A ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

THE LONGER PERCY and Annabeth were in Tartarus, the worse Natalia got.

She often put a fake smile on her face to please everyone, and continued making her usual sarcastic comments. However, what she didn't know is that everyone saw right through it. Jason had told her multiple times that she was worrying him, but she didn't want anyone to be worried about her. If they were putting their focus on her, it would take their minds off of saving Percy and Annabeth and closing the Doors of Death.

Natalia had promised to be the leader. However, she didn't feel like she was a good one. Every night when she was alone in her cabin, she would let all her sadness wash over her, like a wave of dark water. She hated feeling this weak, so she swallowed all her feelings and put on a brave face, even if it was taking a toll on her.

Things just got worse two days after the ship left Split. Gray clouds had surrounded the skies, the ocean turned choppy, and cold water made ice form on the rails and ropes. Which was weird, considering it was July.

"It's the scepter," Nico murmured, hefting the ancient staff. "It has to be."

Natalia had thought about the staff. Ever since Jason and Nico had returned from getting the staff, they were acting . . . off. They were extremely nervous, and Natalia knew that something had happened there. Something that neither would tell her about.

However, Nico's statement made sense. Whenever she was near the staff, she felt oddly cold. The ominous black orb on top seemed to make the world black and white instead of color. The golden eagles at the base glinted coldly. From what Nico had told her, the scepter could control the dead, which gave Natalia an oh-my-Gods-get-that-thing-the-fuck-away-from-me vibe. Coach Hedge had taken one look at the thing, turned pale, and announced that he was going to his room to console himself with Chuck Norris videos. (However, Natalia suspected he was calling his girlfriend Mellie over Iris-message. He had been acting strangely agitated about her.)

The scepter could've possibly caused an ice storm in the middle of July. However, Natalia didn't think that was it. She was thinking it was something else's doing, or if she was correct, someone else's doing.

"We can't talk up here," Jason decided, looking down at Natalia. "Let's postpone the meeting."

Natalia had called a team meeting to discuss what they were going to do as they got closer to Espirus. The quarterdeck was obviously not a good place to hang out with the wind and the rocking.