40 - Preparations

As soon as they saw us being escorted out they were out of the line to the karaoke and over to us. Now standing outside in the cold darkness both dad and Clara had their arms crossed over their chest only Clara looked more awkward than anything. Dad was tapping his foot against the ground as he started his children down and I let my fall down in shame to my shoes.

He looked mostly angry but I could tell he was disappointed. Not only, by the way, his shoulders had slumped but also the look on his face told it all. And I never wanted to see that look again.

"So? Is anyone going to tell me what happened?" Dad asked and I couldn't help but notice how his eyes went from me to Noah a few more times than needed.

When nobody answered he asked "Well?" His voice was raised. It made my eyes go wide by his tone. I can't even remember when he used that tone last.

Cole cleared his throat "Dad, we just couldn't decide which flavor we wanted and it got a bit heated"

"Let's take it in the car. I don't think this will continue tonight" Dad said turning to talk to Clara. She needed in agreement.

"Yes, I think you're right," Clara said. They hugged each other and whispered some words to each other. As they talked I glanced over to Masie. Playing around with her hair she looked rather amused as to what had happened.

"Let's go then" Dad didn't even turn to us as he made his way to the car. I shared a look with my brothers before we walked behind to the car with our tails between our legs. Dad's really upset and that affects us too.

When we were all seated in the car we all just sat there for what seemed like minutes. The awkward tension was killing me and someone needed to speak up now before I die from it.

"Dad..." Mason said but he didn't continue when dad shook his head.

"Let's not.. Let's take it at home" He turned on the engine and drove out of the parking lot.

° ° °

I couldn't sleep.

Right now sleep felt impossible. It felt like a stone was weighing me down and all I wanted was to get it away.

I let out a sigh and sat up. I looked over at my digital clock on my bedside table. 01:53. Throwing my covers off I walked out of my room. I tried to stay as quiet as possible as I walked across the hall in hope not to wake anyone. Making my way down the stairs and into the kitchen, I opened the fridge making the light blind me for a second. I settle for making for warm milk. Grandma always tells me when I'm over at her house that some warm milk can get my sleeping in no time.

After warming it up in the microwave I sat down at the island and took a sip.

"Can't sleep?" A voice broke the silent making me jump and yelp. I didn't think anyone was up this late. Turning around Luke stood there.

"Jesus, you scared the crap out of me"

Luke cracked a smile "Jesus can be scary"

"You know what I meant" I rolled my eyes but smiled nevertheless. The first smile since what happened today. When we got home we didn't actually talk. Dad just walked in and took off his jacket calmly then just went to his study.

"What are you doing up so late?" I ask.

"I could ask the same" Luke said and sat down opposite of me. I looked down at my glass of milk with a frown.

"I feel bad" I almost whispered out.

I could hear Luke let out a breath "Me too" He said and took my milk and drank from it. I tried to snatch it back but he just smacked my hand away.