37 - Moving on

"Wha- what?" My eyes were wide open and my mouth slightly open as I stared up at dad where he sat in his armchair. Shock was all that went through my mind at the moment. I always took his word for granted so I had believed him when he had said that there had been a lot going on at work, but to now learn that all of that was just a lie and he's been practically sneaking out behind our backs made so many emotions swarm through me at once.

I was both happy and sad at the same time but the happiness was overweighting the whole thing. I was happy for him to find someone that he now feels safe with to share love and happiness with because to be honest, I haven't seen him be this happy since... mom, and that was a long time ago. The sad part is that he has moved on from mom. I know I've not moved on from mom and deep down I know that dad will never be able to move past mom because of the deep love they shared.

"Her name is Clara and we started talking a couple of months ago. I think you remember her. You know that lady I was talking to when you guys got off the bus from your tour with school, it's her. We had actually met a couple of months before that, almost five, but we didn't want to tell you guys yet-" Dad said but we cut him off.

"Five!"

"Dad, how long have you two been seeing each other exactly?" Cole asked him.

"Um, I think for about ten mounts, but it started getting more serious after about two months after that" Dad told us and scratched the back of his neck.

"So you are like girlfriend, boyfriend?" Noah asked.

"Yes"

There was a silence that followed. I didn't know to respond to that. He's been going out for so long and hasn't told us.

"I've been holding this back for quite some time it's just that I was scared I guess of how you were going to react, but Clara make me happy-" Before dad could continue with his little talk to get us to be okay with it, I cut him off.

"I'm happy for you dad. You deserve to be happy and Mom would be happy for you too. It what she would have wanted, for you to move on dad and live your life" Dad seemed relieved by my words and his whole face brightened up.

"Thank you Chipmunk, you don't know how happy I am to hear that," He said and hugged me and pressed a kiss on my forehead. I smiled up at him and leaned into him to give him a proper hug.

Dad looked over at my brothers. Mason looked as if he was still in shock of dads announcement but nevertheless, they looked accepting to the situation.

"I'm happy for you dad," Luke said, joining the hug.

"Yeah, as long as you're happy we're happy for you dad"

"Thank you guys, also, I want you to meet her and her family next week"

"Her family?"

"Yes, she got a little girl, Maise. She's eight and is a smart little girl." His eyes looked at the ground, a distant look in them that told me he was thinking about something. A smile played on his lips giving us time to look at each other. It was hard to tell what my brothers thought about the whole thing but they didn't seem too bothered.

Maise. If dad and Clara got serious would that mean I would get another sibling? A little sister. But I'm the little sister. Would that mean I wouldn't be the little sister anymore?

"Do they know about us?" Noah asked.

"Yes, Clara have known since we started talking and Maise knows about you too"

We continued questioning for a bit about it and I could see the relief in dad by the way his body was relaxed unlike before when he was tense and his eyes shined with happiness and relief which made me just more okay with the situation because dad was happy.