Chapter 32: The Result

Vince's POV

It had been a week since I infiltrated the Devils layer. A week since I had seen Melissa or gone to school. A lot happened in those seven days, my father transformed me into a killer, more like a machine with a gun, the controls of which lay with the king of the realm, the one I wanted to finish.

I murdered men in cold blood, earning a name I continue to be ashamed of.
I still told myself I hadn't turned dark, that only circumstances could force me to take lives but the truth was crystal clear to all around me. I was a killer like my father and suddenly worthy of the men that followed him blindly.

At noon every day I'd enter the club premises and wait for my assignment, sometimes a kidnap, sometimes a murder and rarely threats. At first I thought my father only assigned me cases that were dirty to test me, but I soon realised, the only cases that existed were corrupt. With each passing case, I gained trust and it didn't take my father long to hand me a gun to keep on my person at all times.

My plan to wash him out using legal forces was moving much slower than I had previously anticipated, I had hoped that by now I would've been able to wrap all this up. As the days passed, I could feel the change in me, the monster in me growing.
The fact that only I worked the project now made everything much more harder, my father kept Gary following me like a shadow and himself stayed around as well.
I couldn't contact the lawyer I knew for days for my phone calls could be traced and so could my whereabouts.

It had been ten days since Melissa fake dumped me, well, I wondered if she could take me back as I am now. But in those ten days there wasn't a moment I hadn't thought of her, wanting to contact her.
I couldn't do anything under the intense scrutiny of my father and his watch dogs.

Until the day my father had to fly out to France for his above the ground business taking Gary with him. Without the two around, I could spread my wings a bit. The plan was in motion, I gave all the necessary documents, one I had discreetly stolen, to my lawyer. I was a little suspicious of the lawyer who without a flinch took the papers that had the power to end the most dangerous underground member but I didn't let my paranoia get in the way of things.

The lawyer promised that in two days time he'd have made a strong case against the man so, I rested easy for the next two days.
Though, seeing the plan almost reach its grand finale I contacted Mr Colespar to update him who told me to remain alert and keep an eye for anything out of place. And boy, were things out of place.

On the thirteenth day I found myself standing in the club with more members than usual. My father was to return in another few minutes but I was not expecting my mother to be accompanying him. The past few days I hardly had time to take care of my mother, seemed like my father had taken that responsibility for she looked rather happy to stand by his side. She hardly ever came to the club, but I quickly realised that she was drugged beyond understanding. I sensed a turn of events and sent a quick SOS to Mr Colespars office as planned.

"Son, I honestly hoped to make you a better heir to this umpire." His voice echoed in the room, with his each word my heart beat increased, I suddenly stood at the centre of the circle formed by the men in the room.

I just had to stay calm till the lawyer made his grand appearance with a ticket to jail for my father.

"I do not know what else you want from me, I've killed in your name." I looked at him with cold eyes but he knew, I could see he knew.

"That's just it, son. It was working out so well, till I realised you continued to conspire against me even without the uptight couple acting like angels on your shoulder." He stood before me with rage swirling in his red eyes. If I had not known better I would actually think he was sad.

"I don't understand." Just a few more seconds.

"Oh but you do, maybe a familiar face will ring a bell." I was beyond panic on the insides, had they got to the lawyer before he completed his work?

Much to my surprise the one man I was banking on to save me from this life walked in with a nonchalant look and sent a nod my fathers' way handing him an envelop.

"You had all the material to make an excellent case, I'll give you that." He flipped through the stapled pages with a fake appreciative look. "What you did not think about even for a second that people can be bought and that mole your precious second father could not find was Mr Philip right here." He slapped my trusted lawyers back but not even in a blink of an eye, his hands were wrapped around a gun similar to the one tugged in my jeans.

"I told you what happens to people who betray me!" He yelled, standing a hairs length away from me. I remained silent now with a gun to my temple.

"Dying would be better than a life of a criminal, father." I hissed, throwing caution to air. Was I ready to deal with the consequences of that sentence?

"That can be easily arranged." He unlocked him gun, the sound echoing in the silence.

Well, we did know this would go south. But what keeps slipping his mind is that he was the one who trained me, and getting out of such situations was a cake walk. As he continued to boast about his greatness, my hand found my gun but I needed to plan this out. There were a lot of men on his side and I could not count on Mr Colespar getting the message in time and taking action as well.

"Beg for you life." He sneered at me, pressing the gun to my forehead yet even with his scowl his words sounded like pleading.

Perhaps he let me take the gun from his hand, or perhaps I was that good, I believe it was the latter. Though the few seconds of happiness was fleeting, for he pulled out another gun and aimed, getting a pretty good shot at my arm.

And the next few seconds were a burl but they changed everything. Amidst swirl of events, and rushed gun shots, I saw my mother at the end of a gun and still smiling. Should I have moved faster? Could I have? I still ask myself that.

My backup by that time had reached and my father was in shackles but he looked at me with horror, maybe because of what I forced his hand to do, something I can never go back from nor could he.

Mr Colespar rushed to me and took the gun from my shaking hands, "You were never here, you hear me?" He shook me, trying to get me to listen, "Boy! Do you hear me!" He screamed, bringing me out of the trance I didn't know how to get out of. I nodded in a daze as I walked out of the warehouse and left.
Flashes of what I had done continued to replay like a slideshow of disasters.
What will haunt me forever that the face behind the gun was mine.

PRESENT

"I'm sorry, we did everything we could." Was all I heard when everything went black.

"Hey, Vin." Melissa shook my arm, bringing a glass of water to my lips.
I looked at her sympathetic eyes and it all came crashing back.

I had killed my own mother.

*******
Yes, Vince blames himself for her death but he only shifted the gun his father was holding in turn shooting his mother.

Thoughts?
Love,
Rojesta.💜