Chapter 23: Delicia Overdose

I looked at the picture in my hand, one of the only two placed in the grey themed room devoid of any personalization.

A preteen Vince grinned widely at the camera standing beside his equally elated mother. Only the two of them in the frame, situated at a lush green garden.

The other photo was of a much younger Vince sitting on his father's lap, the older man's face was not holding the murderous look I had experienced first hand though his demeanor wasn't short of a criminal's. It made me wonder what happened in this household.

After Vince dropped the bomb on me, he knew he had to tell me everything. Upon realising this, he invited me inside and directed me to his room. He said he'd join me soon as he had to check on his mother first.

I called my parents, informing them about my whereabouts. Mom was immediately sending threats my way, asking me to return home at once. I convinced her I would be in less than two hours. She wasn't too happy about in, infact I was sure to face at least three weeks of penalty.

I placed the pictures back on his bed side table and was looking at them together.

"Finished analyzing?" At the sudden interruption I jerked backward, getting my foot stuck in a box that was jutting out from under the bed and landed on the mattress.

"You need to stop being so creepy!" I said, pushing myself to a sitting position and scowling at a laughing Vince.

"I didn't know you wanted to be in bed so fast." Vince wheezed out, making me scowl deeper.

"You want to tease me, Delicia?" I retorted, smirking at his stilled figure.

"You better stop." As if his threatening look scares me.
"Sure thing, Delicia." I let out a laugh, throwing a pillow at his face.

"Hey!"

"It's a pillow, for god sakes, it has feathers in it." I rolled my eyes at his over exaggerated gestures.
Vince came towards me and sat on the edge of the bed beside me, holding the pillow in his hands.

"You'll pay for that." He mumbled, and I could swear I saw a hint of a smile. Who is this and where is Vince?

"How is she?" I asked after a while.

"She's fine." He replied, laying back on the bed with his legs dangling off the sides.

"How are you?" I lay beside him, both of us staring at the ceiling.

"Been better." His voice shifted, as I felt his gaze on me.

I turned to look at him, and the proximity forced me to hold my breath.
I didn't say anything, hoping he'd start talking without me provoking.

"I think it'd be easier if you asked and I answered." Vince said, brushing a strand off my face.
"I remember the last time I did that, not fun." I turned on my side, now facing him completely.

"This time I'll answer, I promise. I'm sorry about that day, you really shouldn't be knowing th-" Before he could back track and take us back to square one. I cut him off,
"Who hurt you?"

"A bunch of guys from Hellion." I cocked my head to the side, "The fight club."

"Why?"

"Because my dad instructed them to." I gasped at that.
"Why?"

"My mother is an addict and she stole drugs from him." I leaned over and grabbed his hand that lay flat on his chest.

I took his bigger hand in mine and brought it to my lips.
"You don't need to pity me, Jinx." At his words, I looked up.