Chapter 17: Something New

Because of all that has transpired, our journey back was delayed by a couple of hours. The parents had been informed, though I could tell mine weren't pleased with how I fit into all of it.

Brandon was of course well aware of his actions and had permanent suspension written all over his return home. Even with all that he seemed hardly bothered, like he'd get out of it somehow. Which I'd like to be believe is not possible as even if I leave the matter, my parents will not back down on this one.

I knew someone else was with him in all the planning but he didn't give names, on the contrary he took all the blame and the punishment that came with it.
Most of the bus ride people threw questions my way, asking every glory detail. While all the heads in the bus were turned my way, no one asked the tattooed boy sitting in the corner anything. I almost envied him.

"How did you survive him?" One of the girls asked, her face a mixture of fear and jealousy.

"More like how he helped me survive." I chuckled at how they all gasped at the reveal, as though I wasn't talking of the same person.

"You don't have to lie, Mel, we'll protect you." Jake snickered from beside me, "You can tell us the behind the scenes of the devil." I'd never been so offended by anything Jake had said, yet now when he threw a few accusations towards Vince I couldn't take it. Mayhap because Vince had been my hope the past day and without him I don't know what I would've done.

"Stop talking about him like that, Jake. It's because of him, I'm here." I said with a frown. Jake probably didn't catch the seriousness of my voice as he was about to say something more but Ryder being the smart one pulled him back.
"Sounds like you have a crush." High school is such a pain.

"Sounds like you need a life." I sneered right back at Clare who shrank at my tone.

After that, people caught on to how I didn't want to make small talk anymore and settled back down. I switched places with Chelsea and lay my head against the window as the school neared.

It was already after sunset when the bus reached school, my mother stood amongst other parents with a worried frown on her face. Usually, they never came to pick me up because come on, a seventeen year old can find her way back home, but I guess the past days events changed her mind.

"Where is that boy?" She asked almost immediately I reached her. I shook my head at her and motioned for her to lower her voice.

"I just want to go home, mom." More than the mishap yesterday, the bus ride had tired me. She nodded and took me to the car after I waved my friends goodbye. Vince was no where to be seen, I assumed it was because of his mother's condition, whatever that was.

"Where's dad?"

"He has a meeting, he won't be back till late." Consequences of having a job that pays, I guess.
"Do you want to talk about it?" Mom had one of her hand on my knee, the other one resting against her elegantly crossed legs.

Even in a car with all sides darkened she looked like a queen infront of an audience.

"Every day breakup story." I muttered out with a shrug. Yes, the detour had scared me yet I felt as though I had gained something- Vince.

"There is something you need to know, Melissa." I wondered what had gotten my mom so worked up as her wrinkle free face now scrunched up in a frown.

"What is it?"

"Brandon's parents are head of the school board. All decisions are consented by them. Your father and I will try our best to give him what he deserves but he probably won't get expelled." It all made sense, why he seemed so carefree. I didn't know how it hadn't occurred to me, as I was well aware that both his uptight son loving parents were head of the school.