I Can't Believe I Missed These Clichés

Let us continue the long line of clichés that I have somehow missed.

THAT ONE SEXUAL ASSAULT AT A PARTY SCENE

Ahahaha. Ha. Ha.

⬆ (Oh dear)

(Oh dear)

Okay. So, I'm not sure if you've seen this, but practically every single teen fiction book I've read that involved a nerd going to a party involves this one scene where Tessa is almost raped but is saved by Tyler.

First of all, SCREW YOU! Why would you even put this scene in your book? Like, legit, this happens in soooo many books that by this point, it's a must if you want to write a cliché teen fiction about a good girl and bad boy. Popular books have done it, and thus they created a formula where every single teen fic about good girls and bad boys involve this one scene where the girl has to be saved by the boy before she's brutally raped by a drunk guy.

Like, come on! You cannot be serious right now. To top it off, these authors have no idea how psychology works because Tessa is smooching off Tyler in the very next scene. Like, if you were almost raped, I'd think it'd take months for you to get over it. Wouldn't you feel so disgusted and want to scrape off all the skin your almost-rapist touched?

But no. Since Tyler saved Tessa, she's perfectly fine with doing the dirty with him. She must be incredibly apathetic or too aroused to care, which then begs a question why she refused a guy advancing on her. Just no! This is way too messed up. When this stuff happens you don't just go running into the arms of a guy you've been love-hating.

Being a teenager and shocked by this assault, especially since a) it's your first party experience ever or b) you've never had anything sexual before so a guy coming onto you forcefully would be incredibly traumatic, wouldn't you want to just go to the safety of your home and do something that comforts you? Like you would just retreat into your safe space where nothing can harm you instead of staying with Tyler, who is very experienced with manipulating girls.

I just don't even know how to feel about this scene. To top it off, why does Tessa ALWAYS need Tyler to save her? The scene to lead up to her getting assaulted is so contrived and forced that you wonder why it needed to be included in the first place.

Most of the time, she goes off on her own to find the bathroom or something like that, but even so, her getting separated from her friends come off as so forced and unnecessary.

Why does she go to the party again? Oh, yeah. Because most of the time, her friend forces her to go. This is also when she has a magical transformation where she wears a dress that "hugs her in all the right places." If your friend forces you to do something you really don't want to do, I'm not sure how much of a friend he/she is. But whatever. Tessa usually does kinda want to go, so it doesn't even take much effort to convince her.