Chapter 20

Ellana

    I never really knew how my parents died. I never really wanted to know. I was two when it happened. I always assumed they died while doing some sort of science experiment. They used to do a lot of them. That is the only thing I remembered when they were alive. I don’t know why that’s the only thing I remember but that’s it.

    I feel like the minute we got new the new mutants, things started to fall apart. And not because the Sentinels sent in a mutant that they caught and put drugs in her to kill us. I think there’s something off with the telepath, Esme. She’s a little invasive. I mean, she’s a telepath. But I still don’t like the fact that she’s always in everyone’s business. But she did say that Sentinel’s took her family. She has a reason and purpose to be here.

    I was talking to Lauren when Lisa came up to me. “I wanna talk to you.”

    “Okay,” I say.

    Lisa looks at Lauren. “Alone.”

    I get up and we walk to our room. We sat on the bed. Lisa looks at me. She’s wearing an expression on her face that I can’t read.

    Lisa sighs. “I want to tell you something.”

    I nod. Why do you sound so upset?

    “I never really told you how Mom and Dad died. I think you ought to know.” she pauses.

    “Oh, okay,” my voice shakes a little.

Lisa continues. “You were already asleep. I didn’t want to go to sleep. I was angry as an eight year old gets. And Mom tried to calm me down. Dad was also there trying to get me to sleep. But I wouldn’t budge. Mom tried to grab me and lay me in bed, but I just screamed. I saw red. That’s all I could see. I was screaming and there was a high pitch and I couldn’t hear anything. Then it all went away. I looked down and Mom and Dad were black. Charred.” She looks at me. She looks like she’s about to cry. Like she did when she got Shawn’s suicide note. “I killed them.”

“No,” I say. “No, you can’t be serious.”

Lisa tries to hug me but I push away. “Ella, I didn’t mean to-”

“No!” I yell. “You killed Mom and Dad and you never told me? You are my sister! You are supposed to tell me everything!”

“I was scared that you would be mad at me,” she says, voice shaking.

“You know what, I probably would be a little upset. But telling me ahead of time about it would be better than telling me now! Lisa, they were my parents, too!” I yell.

“Ella, I’m sorry,” Lisa says.

“You know, it’s upsetting to know that my sister killed my parents. The people who made me. The people I barely knew.” I say.

“I loved them!” Lisa yells.

“And if I had the time, I would’ve loved them too!” I scream. Then the walls start to shake and the lamp that’s in the room explodes. I feel like everything around me falls apart. My entire world is crumbling to pieces. My sister killed my parents. And for what? For being forced to go to bed? Why does the world hate me? I wished I could forgive her, but I can’t.

I get up out of the bed. The door opens and Caitlin comes in with Lauren right behind her.

“Hey, E.” Lauren says. “What’s wrong?”

“Just, leave me alone.” I say. “Please.”

“Ella, just listen to me, please.” Lisa begs.