Chapter 15

Ellana

Where’s Caitlin and Reed? Oh God, please tell me they made it. Please, please, please. Please make it back. Please make it back. Many people who helped escape Lorna and Reed are badly injured. Lauren, Andy, Lisa, and I are helping the injured and some other new recruits by getting clothes and other things. I start playing with my sleeve again.

“Hey, Ella.”  Andy says, looking at me. “Are you okay?”

“Hmm.” I say, looking at him. “Yeah, yeah. I-I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” he asks. “You’re playing with your sleeve like you always do when you’re stressed.”

“No I’m not. I’m fixing it.” I say.

“You’ve been fixing it for two minutes.” he points out.

I sigh. “You’re right. I’m a little worried. Your parents should be here by now.”

“Yeah, I’m a little worried, too.” he says.

“A little worried?” I ask.

“Okay, very worried.” he says.

“Why are you hiding your feelings?” I ask.

He shrugs. “I don’t know. I guess I want to look tough for you.”

I fold some more clothes and I chuckle. “You? Tough? Are you serious?”

Andy laughs. “I’m serious. I mean you need someone tough in your life.”

“I do.” I say, putting down clothes. I turn around to him and stare into his eyes. “I have my sister. That’s all the toughness I need right now. I don’t need you to be my hero, Andy. I need you to be my boyfriend.”

“Why can’t I be both?” he asks.

“Because all people want in life is for others to think they are their saviors.” I answer. "That they are heroes. I don’t need someone to save me. I’m no damsel in distress. I just need someone I can just love because I love them. Not because they rescued me from danger.”

“Andy, Lauren.” I hear someone say. I turn around and I smile. “Ellana, Lisa.”

“Dad!” Lauren says, running to Reed, who is limping. All of us give him hugs, though Lisa was hesitant. I have tears of joy running down my face. I silently thank God for bringing Reed back safely.

We ask each other if we’re okay. We keep on saying things like “I’m so glad you’re alive” and “We thought we might never see you again”. I’m still crying because I’m so glad Reed’s alive. Wait, if Reed’s alive, then that means Lorna is. But where is she?

I was gonna ask Reed where’s Marcos and Lorna before someone yells. We all turn to a man, with medium length brown hair and a full beard. He looks no older than Reed. And he looks like he has a bone to pick with him.

“Hey!” he yells. “What the hell do you think you are doing here?”

And then out of nowhere, the guy who was like a father figure to me gets attacked by this man. The man disappears at one minute. And then reappears again at Reed’s side and punches it. Me, Andy, and Lauren start screaming. Then, Lisa gets into the fight and breaks it up. Before the man could punch Reed in the face, Lisa grabs the man by the neck while he’s invisible and burns him. The man reappears wincing at the pain that Lisa gave him.

“Fade, what are you doing?” John says after walking into the situation.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” he says. “I’m protecting you.”