One

Rachel sat cross legged on her bed in very deep thought. Her sketch pad was clutched in her hand, a pencil in the other, and she just couldn't figure it out. Her college professer wanted her to draw something beautiful to her, but she just couldn't think of something special enough. Suddenly an image popped in her head. That door. That one door that was never opened. That one door that she always saw shut. Her hand flew as she began sketching the door. She didn't just sketch the door though, in her picture, it was open. Not very much, but wnough to see an eye and a bit of hair. Curly she thought to herself. I bet his hair is curly. Of course Rachel didn't actually know if the person who lived in the appartment was male or female, but she liked to assume she was right. She always liked to assume she was right.

        "Rachel! Did you drink the last of the milk?" Her room mate Emily called. Rachel sighed and set down her sketch pad, not taking the time to look at her work so far.

        "No! I don't drink milk!" She replied with slight annoyance. She could hear Emily shuffling around in the kitchen, and rolled her eyes.

        "Hey, Rach?" Emily asked peaking her head into Rachel's room. Rachel looked over with a look of displeasure.

        "Don't you knock?" She asked in a monotone. Emily laughed a bit and pushed herself the rest of the way into Rachel's room and perched on her bed.       

        "Could you go pick up milk? We don't have any, and I haven't renued my license yet." Emily whined. Rachel closed her sketch book and looked up at her ditzy roommate.

        "Sure, Emily. I'll get milk." She snapped. "Don't come in my room without knocking ever again" she warned angrily. Emily nodded slowly and left the room right behind Rachel. Rachel locked the door before she left it unattended with Emily. The store was in walking distance, so that's what she did. The cool autumn air tickled her face and made her smile. It was a good time of year.

        All throughout her stop at the store she thought about the door. About who could possibly be behind it, and what could possibly keep them in there all day every day. We're they hurt? Perhaps just shy? Or maybe she just caught them at the wrong time. They very well could have a job that kept them busy. She thought of it more on her walk home, and through out the elevator ride up to her floor. And when she got to her appartment she did something crazy. She turned to the door across the hall and she knocked.