Chapter 13 ~ Maddie

Sicily

"SICILY! OH MY WORD, IS THAT YOU!?" that voice. I'd heard that voice...I can't remember where. It hit me. My heart froze and as I had a chip raised halfway from between my plate and my mouth, I lowered it and turned to face the now blonde haired, blue eyed girl in the red heels.

Maddie.

She waved at me and strutted across in her heels, smirking as girls threw her jealous looks. Maddie had that effect on people. She looked sixteen rather than twelve. Her model-like body fitted the perfect description of a sixteen year old, and Harry was twitching in his seat. I couldn't blame him. Most of the boys here with their trousers half way down their legs had their eyes trained on her.

"Hey! Sicily, I can't believe it's you! Your the talk of the town back home!" her squeaky voice was screamed down my ear. I willed myself not to flinch and grab my brother's arm. They stared at me as she unfurled her arms from around me, her bright pink nails had dug into my skin on purpose, making small cresant moons into my skin. She smiled down at me, but to me it looked like a smirk. Even after I said I forgave her, she came back around and decided to mess with my boys.    

"Really?" I asked, surprise lacing my voice. People never really recognised me at school, only as Maddie Higgins enemy that she fought with, and no-one knew why. Other than that, I was the kid who'd ace the test and lie when someone asked about it.

"Yeah, they're all saying you knew all along. That you lied to everyone to mess with them. I'm sorry hun, but they're all saying you hate them and now they're beggining to dislike you..." she pretended to look sorry as the boys eyes widened. "Really, I don't know who would spread such a rumour." Her big blue eyes rounded as she pushed back a tiny bit of hair. Then I realised.

She'd spread the rumour to mess with me.

"Well, enjoy eating. I'll tell everyone they were absolutely wrong about you. Bye, boys!" she curled her fingers in a small wave and strutted out of the fast food place, walking away down the crowded roads of London. I sighed and turned in my seat, as the boys stared at me.

"Something gives me a feeling I don't like that girl and she's bad news." muttered Liam, staring at me. I lowered my head and nodded. "She spread the rumour?" he asked, and once again, I nodded. I looked up to see Harry gripping his napkin, Louis was scowling at the table, Zayn's jaw was clenched, Liam's fists were balled and Niall was all of the above.

"She's the reason why I'm...insecure. She bullied me through middle school."

"The bitch dies." muttered Louis, earning a humourless laugh from me. He gave me an empty smile, and it didn't look like Louis at all.

"Though I'm not up for hitting girls, she deserves a bloody jab in her fake nose." muttered Zayn, leaning against the wall as he tried to unclench his jaw. I gave him a  small smile as a thank you for caring.

"Guys, it's ok, really. She just...For someone to bring you down, they have to be lower than you. It's simple fact that she likes to believe she's on top. Let her." I said, as I put a few chips in my mouth. The boys then stared at me wide-eyed, and I paused with a chip at my mouth. "what?" I asked, chuckling a little.

"How can you just forgive her like that? And let her just get away with it..." whispered Liam, as he stared down at the table.

"I haven't forgiven her, I've just...let her think what she wants. For now." I bit into my chip and gave them a small smile. They tried to disagree but I shut them up with trying to eat their food. We staarted joking around and soon, the atmosphere turned back to normal before the tornado that is Maddie Higgins walked up in her blood-red heels.