Time Together

It's been about an hour and I'm not even close to being done, but Larry has been waiting for a while.

"Ugh, sorry," I apologize while erasing a messed up line, "I'm slow while trying to make this look decent,"

"Nah, it's fine dude, don't be so hard on yourself," he reassures me, patting my shoulder. He smiles warmly, going to put more work on his drawing.

"I think..." I finish one more line on his hair, "I'm done!" I hold up my piece of paper happily.

He smiles and has us swap drawings.

"Woah..." His is so fucking good. He made my hair look actually pretty instead of a clump of oil.

He looks at my drawing for a long time before saying anything. Suddenly, he stands up and pins it on his wall with a tack.

I smile and hug his drawing of me. "Yours is way better though," I mumble, becoming less excited. Fuck, I forgot my meds, I'm not as happy as I could be.

"Sal, please stop putting yourself down," Larry kneels down in front of me before pulling me into a tight hug.

For some reason, I start crying into his shoulder. Goddamnit, Sal, stop fucking crying.

"I don't care if you're crying, Sal," Larry says out of the blue. Fuck, I must've said that out loud.

He rubs my back comfortingly while I just cry into him for a while.

"T-thank you.." I pull away and unclip the bottom of my mask to wipe my tears. I turn away while I do that so Larry doesn't see my face. I clip it back and turn to him.

"Anytime, Sally Face," He falls back onto the other bean bag again. "Sorry if this is like personal, but what happened to your.." he motions around his face.

I laugh a bit, "This is gonna make me out to be a major pussy," I tell him and he laughs but nods, "A dog ripped my face to shreds,"

"Shit,"

Memories from this morning suddenly flood into my mind. The nightmare. I shiver and hug my knees to my chest. "C'mon Sal, get yourself together," I whisper under my breath.

I take a deep breath and start to relax. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Larry staring at me with concern and...something else in his eyes.

Forcing a smile, I look back at Larry, "Again, you can't tell, but I'm smiling,"

He gives me a look but laughs dryly, "Must be hard to show emotions with that thing,"

Larry's POV

Something's up with him. His eyes seem...sad.

Sal's POV

I work hard to be more happy for the rest of the day, but it's clear that I'm acting different.

"Man, I'm bored," I say after we end a conversation about school. Turns out he is in my grade, so that's good. Also, it's the beginning of the year so that's even better.

He thinks for a minute. "Grab some blankets out of my closet and meet me outside the door that's in the basement,"

That sentence is confusing as hell but okay.

He throws on a jacket, grabs his radio and a few CDs, and runs out.

It takes a minute to actually get to his closet through the pile of art supplies. There's a few fluffy blankets on a shelf so I grab them.

For some reason, I want to grab one of his sweatshirts. I chose to wear a ripped tank top today so I might get cold.

I end up choosing one with Metallica written on it. This is really big on me. It reaches past my ass and then some.

It's a bit of a struggle to carry the blankets, but I manage.

I pass Lisa on the way out and say a muffled 'hey'. She just laughs.

Once I get outside, I just stand there because Larry didn't tell me where to go.

Larry's POV

I look out of the treehouse to see if Sal's out yet. He's...wearing my sweatshirt? Cute.

He looks real confused so I all but jump out of the treehouse to guide him here, but not without messing with him.

When I get near him, I purposely ignore as he calls out my name. I sneak behind him and lift him out of the air.

Sal's POV

"AHH! Larry!!" I scream as someone lifts me up.

I get put down before I can kick them. "Who the fuck--" It's just Larry. "God, fuck you," I flip him off and grab the blankets.

"I know I know," he laughs, "follow me,"

I wobble behind him until I end up bumping into him because he stops suddenly.

"Here, hand me the blankets," I basically throw them at him. Blankets get surprisingly heavy after holding them for a while.

He stares at me and his sweatshirt for a minute before climbing up a treehouse. "Oh uh, sorry if you don't want me wearing your clothes," I rub my neck nervously, "I just thought it would be cold,"

"Nah," he grunts, putting the blankets inside and climbing in, "It's cool, though it is preeeetty big on you,"

I start climbing up, careful about the loose boards. "Well, it doesn't help that you're like 10,000 feet taller than me,"

He laughs and moves to grab something from a chest.

"Woah, shit," One of the boards come even more loose as I grab onto it.

Larry immediately comes to the "door" and looks worried, "You okay??"

I nod and finish climbing up. When I'm in, I immediately grab the black fuzzy blanket he has and wrap it around me loosely. The cold August air is getting to me.

He comes and sits down across from me, holding a pack of cards and a blunt. He grabs the other blanket and starts shuffling the cards.

"Ya mind if I smoke?" He pulls out a lighter while waiting for my answer. I shrug and he lights it.

He deals the cards and takes a drag.

He blows the smoke out and closes his eyes. Can smoking be hot? Well it is now. Wait what?

"Round of Go Fish, loser has to answer a question from the other person?" He takes another drag, this one is deeper.

"Sure," I organize my cards and place down my matches. I pause. "Can I take a drag?"

He looks up and smirks, handing me the blunt. "First time?" I slouch over and laugh timidly.

"No biggie, just inhale, but if you feel the need to cough don't try to hold it in," he grabs a Coke and hands it to me as well, "You might need a drink afterwards."

I unclip the bottom of my mask and push it up enough to smoke. It swarms around my throat then into my lungs, then back out when I exhale. Some of the smoke gets caught in my mask and travels out through the eyeholes.

My throat gets tingly and I have a small coughing fit.

"Shit, that was fucking dope!" Larry exclaims and pushes his hair back on his forehead. I smile and hand it back to him and take a drink.

"So, you have any 4s?" I ask, getting into the game.