First Night

I finish unpacking the important stuff, like clothes and school stuff.

What's my new school gonna be like? Ah geez, I forgot to ask how old Larry was. Hopefully, he's in my grade. I hope I don't have too many bullies.

I'm hungry.

Groaning, I get up and see what's in the fridge. Food roulette: Will I eat tonight?

I laugh to myself, that game just sounds funny.

There's a few crackers in the cabinet that I grab and go back to my room. I pass my Dad on the couch and stop.

He's passed out. I smile and cover him up with a throw blanket.

I fall back onto my bed, shoving a Ritz into my mouth. It tastes stale. It's probably stale. I'll ask Dad to go to the store tomorrow.

I end up laying on my bed in the dark for god knows how long. I don't even know whatI was thinking about--if I was thinking anything.

Time for another roulette game: will I sleep tonight?

This time I don't laugh because it's just too real.

I reach behind my head to take off my prosthetic. Click click. Those satisfying clicks put me at ease.

I haphazardly hang it on my bed post and roll over onto my side, facing the wall.

This new mattress is all lumpy. I wish funerals weren't so damn expensive. Mom...why can't you just come back?

Tears start falling down my fucked up face at the thought of her.

I just wanted to pet the fucking dog. That fucking dog! Muffled sobs poured out of my mouth. I instinctively curl up in a little ball, trying to calm down.

After some time, I finally calm down a little, and before I forget I sit back up and pop out my glass eye, dropping it into a cup of water by my bed.

I fall back down afterwards, laying with my eyes closed for a while. Why can't I just go to sleep? If there's a god out there, can't you love me just a little bit?

As if my wish was granted, I dozed off in a few minutes.

. . . .

"Mommy!" I yell, pointing into the trees, "Can I go pet the doggy?"

"Just a minute, sweetie, let me pack up our stuff," She sat up, folding our picnic blanket.

I'm too impatient and run off to the dog happily.

"Doggy doggy!" I yell, looking for him again. A dark figure runs in front of me and I follow it further into the forest.

Some bushes rustle behind me. I quickly turn around and see the dog standing there.

I smile and reach down to pet it.

Pain spreads throughout my head and I scream but no noise comes out. I can see blood running down my forehead and I feel flesh being ripped off my face.

Now I hear screaming, but it's not my own. Doggy stop! What did I do to you?! I'm so sorry!!

Suddenly, the dog jumped off of me and I could hardly see anything for the blood and something wrong with my eye.

I reach up to feel my face. Where's my eye?! Doggy what did you do?!? Mommy it hurts!

I wipe away some blood so I can kind of see.

I hear the dog growling and look over to see Mommy on the ground with the doggy. "Doggy stop!!"

The doggy didn't stop. I punch the doggy and beat it off of Mommy. It runs away whining.