one

"Bye, love you!" I called out to Liam, my foster brother, who was rushing inside as well.

"Love you!" And with that, we ran into school and went our separate ways.

We both slept through our alarms this morning, already having missed two periods (well one and the majority of another). I rushed to my Physics class, sneaking and taking my seat next to Bailey—who might as well be my best friend. I retrieved the scratched up black notebook from my bag and tried to catch on to the remained of class.

"Where were you missy?" She asked, eyebrows raised.

"Slept through my alarm." I replied, trying to copy down notes.

"Hm." She deemed my answer good enough before refocusing on the class.

The short ten minutes left in class went by, and we left to the quad—the usual after class spot for us. A cracked wooden bench right under a giant oak tree that provided the perfect amount of shade from the smoldering sun. It also happened to be away from the majority of student seating—a definite bonus in our eyes. 

"So remember how last night I went out with Jordan?" She asked, picking at her already chipped nails.

"Uh-huh." I replied though I hadn't really been paying attention.

"Well this morning he completely ignored me, in front of everyone. I looked like an idiot!"

"He's a jerk, leave him."

"I'm not even with him yet." She made a dramatic sigh, placing her hand over her head and falling back on the bench. "He's so weird."

"Who?" I questioned in an attempt to follow her eyes.

She was referring to a tall kid who was sitting by himself at a bench. Well, he wasn't by himself, but seeing as he was so into the book he was reading, I don't really think he was paying attention to the annoying kid he was with. I knew that kid to be Toby and the other kid wasn't listening to a single word he said, giving the occasional "mhm" or "huh" or "wow".

"Isn't he in our history class?" Bailey remarked, still watching the two.

"I think so. Don't know his name though."

"Damn it would suck to have to work with him." She laughed and I hit her thigh.

"Be nice, asshole." I shook my head.

The bell rang, signaling our five minute break was over, and the kid Bailey studied nearly ran to class. I never see him with anyone other than Toby, or some other kid that ran the gaming club. He was quiet in our class, and from the few times I've heard him talk, he had a stutter. I guess you could say he was a little weird, always hugging his books like they were going to fly away. But no one ever really talked to him he was just ruled off as someone you didn't talk to.

I shrugged off the thoughts as Bailey and I went our separate ways to 3rd period. I had Spanish and I was looking forward to sleeping in the back.

***
Lunch, fourth, and fourth period happened pretty fast. Bailey and I met up with Liam and some other friends of ours, and then I had fourth with both of them.