Eighth time's the charm (Clark Kent x Reader)

Originally posted on my Tumblr : http://ellana-ravenwood.tumblr.com/post/162095797253/eighth-times-the-charm-clark-kent-x-reader

___________________________

Turning and turning the ring between his fingers, he could almost feel it burning holes in his skin. His heart couldn't stop from beating wildly in his chest, and he found himself, for the first time in his life, having trouble breathing properly.

He could hear your heartbeat, amongst all the busy Metropolis' city sounds, he could detect your particular heartbeat he loved so much, as you were coming home...And while your vital organ was pulsating calmly, his was throbbing crazily.

It was all very silly really. He was the mighty Superman ! He protected the Earth from powerful threats. He already battled enemies that were stronger than him and pulled through. Hell he even held Batman's glare once, until Bruce looked away, and that was a difficult task...So why was he so nervous right now ?

Maybe he wasn't ready. Maybe you weren't ready. Maybe it was just too big of a commitment but...Clark shook his head at his own "stupidity".

You've been together for almost ten years, you were living with each for over seven years. Hell, you even bought a house in the calm suburb of Metropolis ! Even bigger, you were pregnant with his child, which was really the ultimate commitment right ?

So why was he so afraid to just...pop the question to you ?

As he was trying to collect himself, trying to un-fog his mind, the answer came to him naturally.

If he was that nervous right now, about asking you to marry him, it's because all his previous attempt ended up in a big disaster.

Five times, he counted.

He tried to ask you five times before, without much success.

*************

The first time was on your first year anniversary. Yeah ok, a year together wasn't that long, but it was his longest relationship ever and, more importantly...He was in love with you. He loved you like he never loved anyone before. So of course asking you to marry him was just the natural thing to do.

But then Bruce happened.

Bruce Wayne, aka the Batman. Your older brother. It had already been super difficult to convince him to not intervene in your relationship with Clark.

Because he was over-protective of you. You were so young when your parents died, you didn't even remember them, and he became your role model instead of it being your father or mother. He vowed to always be there for you, to never let anyone hurt you, so of course, when you started dating his best friend...

At first, he tried to forbid you to see Clark, but you just laughed in his face and made out with Superman right in front of him. Damn you, your wits, and your stubbornness.

Then he tried to separate you by inventing clever plans but...Dick ratted him out, and when you heard that all the problems you have had with your boyfriend lately, while so far it had been perfect, were your brother's fault...Oh, all hell broke loose at Wayne's Manor. You were scary when angry.

That day, Clark made a mental note to never ever anger you. And Bruce decided that maybe it was ok for you and his best friend to be together. At least, he knew you were dating a good man. Bruce would never admit it, but the reason he gave up trying to break you and Clark up was because you scared him to death, when you got angry at him...

So he let it go. Didn't mean he didn't make a speech to Clark about breaking your heart. You know, the good old : "If you break her heart, I'll break your neck after beating you to near-death with brass knuckles made out of kryptonite...Kryptonite knuckles".