Chapter Thirty-One: Fumbled Love

Start from the beginning

"What?" I half yelled through my teeth. Something inside of me didn't want to hear what he had to say. I just had a feeling that I wouldn't like it.

"Look, big things are about to happen. I can't let you know what they are yet, but please, don't freak out. Just remember, if anything happens you call Martin Vance, alright?" Robert leaned in really close during his hurried speech.

 The way his eyes wandered around the room and never looked at me while he spoke set me on edge. Plus, it felt like he was giving me an order.

Nothing was making any damn sense!

"Why are you talking in code? Jesus Christ, would it kill anyone to just say what they have to say?" I yelled, throwing my hands up in the air in agitation.

First Joshua and now Robert.

Robert rolled his eyes again, but began to speak. Right when I thought he was going to elaborate and decode his message, Joshua's voice drifted down the hallway.

"Jilly?" He asked. I turned just in time to see the hard expression on his face as he made his way over to us. It really didn't look good. I was tucked in a corner with Robert, while he practically whispered in my ear.

"Hey!" I yelled overly enthusiastically. I couldn't explain why I felt so guilty, I just did. I set a dramatic hand on my waist and felt my mouth form into a lopsided smile.

"Hey." Joshua spoke back. His mouth was stills set in a hard line and he eyed Robert wearily.

I was shocked when I noticed that Robert was returning the hostility with just as much vigor. If I hadn't done something to cut off their stare down, all hell would have broken loose.

 I just knew it.

 They both looked like they had developed a mutual hate for each other from one day to another. That was another thing to add to the list of things that weren't making any sense at all to me.

I coughed loudly, before grabbing hold of Joshua's arm.

That managed to break him out of his haze and I felt his eyes fall on me.

"Ready to catch that plane?" I asked, already pulling Joshua along. I couldn't resist turning towards Robert, who still stood in the exact same spot.

 For a minute, his gaze looked at me with sorrow, as if he felt bad for me. He had no reason to and was obviously plotting a new plan to get Gola, or so that's what I told myself as I pulled Joshua towards the exit doors.

"What was he telling you?" Joshua asked with an intensity that he couldn't mask.

I hated myself for being so stubborn, but because everyone was keeping secrets from me I decided to keep some of my own.

"Nothing, he was just talking to me about last night." Alright, so I was outright lying, and it wasn't because I didn't trust Joshua. I did, sort of. It was just that the stubborn part of me wanted someone to be just as confused as I was.

"Well, whatever it was, don't believe him. I don't trust that guy, Jilly." Joshua spoke as we walked out towards the beaming sunlight.

I rolled my eyes, as if what he was saying was utterly ridiculous, but I was thinking the exact same thing.

Maybe it was the fact that things felt out of control for me, or maybe it was just that I felt like an entirely new girl, but before I knew it I was pulling a still weary Joshua to the side of the hotel building and practically pushing him against the concrete wall.

At first Joshua looked like he didn't know what the hell was happening, and when he did the shock from his eyes never dimmed.

With a shaky breath I put all of my weight on the tips of my toes and reached up to meet Joshua. I pushed myself to commit and meet my lips with his.