15. Get back right.

Mateo sat in his house drinking whiskey straight. He checked the time seeing it was 9:53pm. He knew Sofia would be arriving at any minute and there was no telling how she would act once she arrived.

He felt like every area of his life was in a whirlwind right now. Or at least the two biggest pieces, dealing with Sofia and Jessica.

Jessica barely said two words to him at the dinner or when he stopped by before they left. She was still upset with him and he understood it. He was learning that she needed her time to get over things.

A knock came through on his door, knocking him out of his thoughts as he got up. He opened the door as Sofia stood there looking good as hell. "Hey," he let out as he took her in. "Why didn't you use your key?"

She walked in as she responded. "Didn't think it was appropriate."

He closed and locked the door as he headed to his spot back on the sofa. "You can help yourself to something to drink, or anything in this house for that matter. You do live here."

"Did." She corrected as she took a seat on the same sofa in which he sat on.

He didn't respond to the correction as he focused his eyes on the TV though he wasn't really interested in it. "What's up?" He questioned. He looked over at her, "why did I get to get blessed with your presence tonight?"

She sighed, "I just want to talk about, everything."

He gave her his full undivided attention. "Okay, shoot."

"Who is the girl?" He knew this question was bound to come up sooner or later. He just expected her to ease into this conversation. But that was out the window.

He picked up his drink, throwing the rest of it back. "Her name is Jessica, and no she's not here in San Diego." He was almost certain that would be her next question.

"When? And how?"

"What do you mean?" He questioned back as they sat facing each other.

She rolled her eyes, "when did you fuck her? And how did you meet her?"

He ran a hand over his face. "X's birthday weekend, at a club."

"Wow, really? A true groupie ho?" She questioned with disgust written all over her face.

"It wasn't even like that."

"Wait," she started as if she had just had an epiphany. "So this was when you all went to San Francisco?"

Mateo nodded. "So those times we went or you went alone there was it really to see her?" Anger brewed in her.

He shook his head no. "I really had work to do there sometimes, but yeah. Sometimes I was going to meet up with her but it was strictly for the baby. I swear there wasn't and there isn't shit going on between us you could ask her yourself."

She sat there looking at him for second, not knowing if she should believe him or not. She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Call her," she let out.

He was taken by surprise. Though he suggested it he didn't expect her to really take him up on the offer, at least not right now. "She probably won't answer."

"Why?"

"I said something that I shouldn't have in a sensitive moment."

"What did you say?" She pushed.

He sighed, "Sofia that doesn't matter."

"Mateo what did you say?" She questioned loudly. "You're telling me it's nothing going on between the two of you and you can't even tell me why she's upset with you right now?" She yelled.