Chapter 34: Trigger Finger

"Holy shit..." Glenn muttered in disbelief at what just happened.

"You all right?" Rick asked Glenn rubbing the back of his scalp.

"Yeah." He mumbled, "I guess."

"Hershel? Indigo?" Rick asked and they both nodded softly before Indigo grabbed at Ricks hands.

"Let's head back." Indigo states eagerly followed by the men as she drags both Glenn and Rick now by his arm towards the door they came in. Hershel slowly following them. Rick stopped her when a car engine rumbled closer and came to a stop right outside the building they stood in.

Rick waved his hands around, "Car. Car. Get down." Indigo gasped as the small group went back towards the body of the two dead men and hid behind the bar bench.

Indigo felt herself freeze when the engine stopped and the sound of doors slammed shut. She could hear the sound of multiple voices.

"Dave? Tony? They said over here?"

"Shit..." Rick muttered eyeing the dead bodies.

"Yeah." Another man outside answered. Their voices were mumbled but you could tell they were close, too close for Indigos liking.

"I'm telling you, man, I heard shots." A third man shot back at his friend.

"I saw roamers - two streets over." The second guy said, "Might be more around here."

"It's hot. - We gotta get out of here."

"Dave! Tony!" One of the men yelled. Indigo could see their shadows lurk outside the windows now.

"Shut up, you idiot! You wanna attract 'em?" This guy must've been in charge, at least he sounded like it, "Just stick close. We're gonna find 'em."

The mumbles outside began to fade as Indigo turned to Rick, "do you think they're gone?" Rick peeked around the side of the bar when shots and screams rang out from on the streets. Rick held Indigo back as she trembled in his arms.

"Rick...Rick-I'm scared." Rick keeps forgetting that she is still just a little girl.

"It'll be okay, Indi. I'll protect you okay." He looked at both Glenn and Hershel, "we all will.

They could hear multiple steps outside, pacing even followed by heavy grunts and then another shot. There must've been walkers outside. A lot of them.

"Shit!" One of them yelled.

--------

Indigo was exhausted, it had been ages since those men arrived outside and they still hadn't left. I guess Glenn was thinking the same thing.

"Why won't they leave?" Glenn whispered frustrated and Rick turned to him.

"Would you?"

"We can't sit here any longer." Glenn told him quietly, "Let's head out the back and make a run to the car."

"Glenn just in case your forgetting, we can't just run out into-" Shots fired outside again emphasising Ricks point he was trying to make.

"What happened?"

"Roamers, I nailed 'em. They disappeared but their car's still there."