Chapter 23: Fatal Heart

"Where's my gun?" Andrea questioned, "You have no right to take it."

"You don't need that just now, do you?" Dale argued as Andrea stepped forward.

"My father gave it to me." Andrea said, "It's mine."

"I can hold onto it for you." Dale replied.

"Or you can give it back to me." Andrea responded upset.

"Everything cool?" Shane strolled up noticing the debate between them.

"No, I want my gun back." Andrea held out her hand angrily. Shane could tell she wasn't in the right headspace as he stood next to Dale.

"I don't think it's a good idea right now."

"Why not?" Andrea snapped.

"I'm not comfortable with it." Shane said and Andrea scoffed, "The truth is, less guns we have floating around camp the better."

"You turning over your weapon?" Andrea responded as Shane chuckled.

"No. But I'm trained in its use." He said, "That's what the rest of y'all need is proper training. But until that time I think it's best if Dale keeps them all accounted for."

Andrea scoffed again shaking her head, "Uh-huh."

"Mind telling me what that's about?-"

"Oh God, they're back. You didn't find her?"

"Their trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light."

"You can't leave my daughter out there on her own to spend the night alone in the woods." Carol was visibly upset as Lori held her.

"Out in the dark's no good." Shane told them, "We'd just be tripping over ourselves. More people get lost."

"But she's 12." Carol replied, "She can't be out there on her own."

"-And Indigo is eight." Rick replied, "As long as they're together, they have a better chance of finding their way back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indigos P.O.V.

"Sophia, slow down." Indigo whimpered out of breath.

"W-we...we're lost..." Sophia stuttered as Indigo slipped her hand into hers. She looked down guiltily, she shouldn't have moved from the cave. Indigo bit her lip trying to find something to say.

"Uh...um, it's okay." Indigo pulled her along, "we just have to keep the sun on our...left shoulder." The two girls trudged through the woods as the sun began to slip from their sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ricks P.O.V

"We took down a walker." Rick said finally.

"Walker? Oh my God."

"There was no sign it was ever anywhere near the kids." He said relieved himself.

"How can you know that?" Andrea asked. Daryl held up the bloody knife.

"We cut the son of a bitch open, made sure."

"Oh God. How could you just leave them out there to begin with?" Carol choked over her tears, "How could you just leave them?"

"Those two walkers were on us." Rick said guiltily, "I had to draw them off. It was their best chance."