Elon entered into a room and set Carissa down on the cot. Aside from the cot, there wasn't much else—just a small sliver of a window, a table, and a chest. A pitcher of water sat on the table, and Elon splashed some onto his hands. Then he tipped her head back and poured more water over her scalp. The cold water felt like a caress against her aching head.

Elon began to reach towards her, but she caught his wrist. "Elon, if you heal me, will this permanently hurt you?" She glanced at the end of his hand, where his missing finger would be. As blurry as her vision was, she couldn't see it.

Elon shook his head. "If you could heal, you would... given enough time. Since my body accelerates the healing process, I should have few if any side effects."

"Few? That's not acceptable?"

"I didn't ask if you approved, Carissa." His voice hinted at suppressed laughter.

"So you'd heal me without my permission?"

"I never said that." He lifted her chin up, his hazy face filling her vision. "Carissa, would you allow me to heal you?"

She shook her head, only to wince when pain needled her skull.

"Even if I don't fully heal from this, I'd still be better off than you are now."

"But it's not fair. I don't want you to have to suffer on account of me."

"That's the price the curse requires, Carissa." He sat back from her. "If you don't allow me to heal you, your vision will gradually dim until you'll see nothing but darkness. You'll grow dizzier until you can't stand on your own. In less than a week's time, you'll be permanently bed-ridden."

Her heart clenched at his words, but she didn't respond.

"I heal you so you can live your life to its fullest, Carissa. I don't want you to be frightened, but I want you to know what's at stake should you refuse my healing."

After another moment of silence, she murmured, "Very well." She released her grip on his wrist.

And then his fingers were in her hair, massaging her scalp. Her skin prickled with warmth and she sighed as the pain in her head abated for the first time in hours. When she turned her head, to her amazement, there still wasn't any pain, and her vision was crisp, clear, and still.

She glanced over at Elon, who was cupping his forehead, and all amazement at her healing evaporated. "Elon?" She reached out to cup his shoulder.

"Just a minute. It's taking a while."

Worry surged in her heart. "You're certain you'll heal?"

He began to nod, then winced. She knew what that felt like. "I'll be alright, Carissa. I promise."

After a few seconds, his breathing relaxed, the tension leaving his shoulders. He glanced up, and she was relieved to find his eyes were steady and focused on her.

He looked down at the rest of her body. "Are you hurt elsewhere?"

Carissa shifted, and the movement stung her skin. It seemed she was, but it was probably just bruising from Akar's handling of her. Not only did they not have time to tend to such minor injuries, but she feared if Elon saw, his anger might prove a distraction as they searched out the Nephesh. "It can be healed later."

His brows dipped downward.

Carissa touched his forehead, smoothing the furrow between his brows. "Fully healing me would require undressing me. Not only would it prove time-consuming and make me vulnerable in a fortress of Reapers, but wouldn't it be nice to fully heal me later? In private?" She offered him what she hoped was a suggestive smile.

Elon laughed. "You're very clever, Carissa, but you should know that keeping secrets from someone with Foresight is difficult, if not impossible." When he lifted her chin up towards his face, she saw the glint of anger in his eyes, though it wasn't directed at her. Likely he already knew the extent of what Akar had done. "But I see the wisdom in your suggestion, and I will heed it." He released her chin to offer her a hand.

With his assistance she stood—and was delighted to find she was perfectly steady on her feet. She could move any way she desired without losing her balance. Mobility was a freedom she'd never thought to treasure before.

Elon pulled her towards the door, still holding her hand. "We should find Lila first. She'll lead us to the Nephesh."

Lila—that's right. Carissa felt guilt wash over her. Amidst freeing Elon, avoiding rape for the umpteenth time, and vomiting repeatedly, she'd nearly forgotten about her.

"Also, you might want to have this handy before we leave."

He handed her a sword, encrusted in black blood, before withdrawing his own sword. When Elon shoved open the door, she could see why he'd wanted her to be armed:

They were surrounded by Reapers.

***

Author's Note: By this time, you guys should be well-acquainted with my cliff hangers ;) And well-acquainted with the fact that the sneak peek for the next chapter can be found as a link in my bio. And instead of stating these facts outright, I'll just let you know indirectly by telling you that these are things you should know. I know; I'm so clever. 😂