“I don’t believe in every words came from your dirty mouth, Thomas!” The boy exclaimed sarcastically.

“Thos boy makes me impatient,” Minho snapped. “I will shoot your head so your shuckin’ brain will working.”

With his both hands busy gripping the boy, Thomas couldn’t restrain Minho. Newt could. He did what Thomas wanted to do, keeping the Launcher away from the boy.

“Not like this, shank,” Newt suggested. “Bring him to the slammer. We interrogate him later. Now, we should take care of them.”

Thomas did agree. But, the syllable Newt mentioned made him frown. It brought him back to the maze trial.

“Slammer?” Thomas and Minho asked at the same moment.

“I mean, lock him at a buggin' room.” Newt explained.

“You can’t do it!” the boy protested. “If you want to save them ...” his eyes darted around, showing a dozen sick kids. “You have to return us to WICKED. They have the serum.”

“Oh my God!”

The voice stole their attention. There were three person entered the room. Brenda, Hans, and Clarisse who carried her little bag she saved from the ruins. Hans went to one of the unconscious kid. He examined him several seconds to make decision.

“You bring the serum, Clarisse?” Hans lifted his head, motioning to her little bag.

“What do we need? The grief serum? Or else?”

“The grief serum,” Hans replied.

Clarisse took a syringe, handing it to Hans who immediately injected it to the infected kid.

“Brenda, Clarisse, help me!” He shifted to another kid.

Clarisse gave Hans the other syringe. She also gave a few to Brenda. So, the three of them could take care of the infected kids.

“Look, we have the serum!” Newt stared back to the green shirt. Arms crossed.

The boy looked pale now. He knew he was at the edge of his defeat.

“We’d rather evacuate these two,” Newt suggested. “Minho, help me carry this unconscious boy.”

“Good that,” Minho knelt down beside Newt.

Newt and Minho were about to touch the boy as another—they thought—unconscious boy suddenly woke up, quickly tackled Newt. Minho spontaneously shot the launcher. Nothing happened. The launcher had no ammo left.

“Let him go!” He got onto his feet, insisted them.

Newt got up swiftly. He intended to fight the kid. The kid pulled a syringe out of his pocket. Newt widened his eyes. He stopped, then took a few steps backwards. Fear covered his face, making him lose his focus. If Minho didn’t hold him, he would fall after stumbling to the black shirt’s leg.

“Newt?” Thomas whispered curiously. He searched for Newt’s expression in his memory and found nothing like he saw right now. Newt was so scared. He remembered the time they fought the grievers, cranks, and the hideous monster at the end of the Scorch trial. Newt had never looked like that.

“You think I’m scared of that stupid syringe ?” Minho said arrogantly. He was on hundred and eighty degree from Newt.

“Come if you’re really brave!” The boy said mencaingly.

Newt grabbed Minho’s arm before Minho could even move. “Don’t, Minho!” Newt shook. By the look of his eyes, he as if showed that the syring was very dangerous.

Minho frowned. Just like Thomas, he didn’t have any ideas the reason Newt was acting strange.

Thomas ran his gaze. He observed the syringe keenly. He red the label VC321xb47M00. He had no idea how many WICKED had created the mutated viruses. The code was familiar, it was the code for Flare virus before ‘M00’ added. Over all, he didn’t know what kind of virus was that.

He took his eyes off the Strong, casting them to Newt. He remembered the third trial WICKED gave to Newt. They use his friend to investigate the mutated virus by making him the host. Sure, Newt knew a few of the viruses. His fear told him the virus in that syringe was kind of a very dangerous virus. Is that the virus that infected him couple months ago? The virus that have same effect with the Flare? Thomas asked himself.

“NOOOO!”

Newt’s voice startled Thomas. He spontaneously let go of his hands. His eyes widened to see the syringe pricked Minho’s arm. For a moment, he froze. All he could do was watching Minho, then the boys who was running away. Minho was the first person who moved. He pulled the syringe out of his arm, tossing it somewhere. He abruptly ran after the boys.

Thomas needed two seconds to melt. He swiftly followed Minho until he saw Gally and Jorge blocked the way. Those kids stopped, confusing. They were surrounded now. Minho nodded towards Gally and Jorge. Understanding the order, they grabbed the kids.

“What do you think happen to Newt?” Minho turned to Thomas as Jorge and Gally took the kids. “Why is he suddenly freak out?”

“I think—” Thomas didn’t finish his sentence. Newt smashed him from behind.

“Minho,” Newt called. Without any other words, he dragged Minho. Minho didn’t resist although his eye brows raised.

Thomas followed right behind their heels.

“Hans, do you have the serum?” Newt stopped near to Hans.

The doctor was holding the syringe that Minho threw previously. Frankly, Hans didn’t need to answer Newt. His face explained it all.

“Oh, come on, Newt. It just—”

“Shut your hole, Minho!” Newt cut him off. He looked back over Hans. “Hans?”

“I have several kind of serum for the mutated virus. Unfortunately, I don’t have for this one.” He looked so upset.

“What do you mean?” Minho folded his forehead. Worry plastered half of his face.

“Minho, that’s not the virus the grief serum can handle,” Newt said. “It’s another kind of their mutated virus, the most dangerous one. The last time I heard, WICKED haven’t find the serum yet.”

The words felt so sharp. It pricked Thomas strongly. He didn’t want to believe any of his friend’s words.

“You can’t be serious, Newt,” Thomas mumbled, hoped against what he saw on Newt’s expression.

Newt didn’t release a word, only stared deeply toward Thomas. Thomas hated it. He couldn’t accept it. Minho.

“Means, we have to come back to Safe Haven immediatelly. I don’t wanna die at this shuckin’ town.” Minho decided. His voice was flat. Even, he smiled to reassurance his friends, Thomas knewt the leader was scared. And it was the worst smile Minho had ever did.

***

TBC

-----------

Hey,  I'm back. Please,  let me know whether you like 'After the Crank'!  You can touch the star if you like it.

Your vote will mean a lot for me. Thanks.

See ya, 
💙

Samina