Nineteen: Condemnation

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law."

-Romans 3:28

Elizabeth sighed, scrubbing a hand down her face as she thought over her and Adira's conversation. The girl was painfully young, but she was mature in ways that spoke to her character. Even so, there were things she didn't understand. Yes, Elizabeth came to her village all those years ago and drug those wolves away. What Adira didn't know, was that they were still alive.

Elizabeth's thought process was interrupted when a burning heat struck her chest and had her vision gradually sinking to endless black. She stumbled, reaching for the table as support. A hazy sort of rage began to blanket her mind, she knew it wasn't her own pain she was feeling, but Adira's. As the last of her vision winked out of sight, a guard burst into the tent. Having lived without her sight for the past millennium, she didn't need it to locate the young vampire.

Her fingers latched onto his neck as she bared elongated fangs into his face. "WHERE IS SHE!" She roared, her words slurred through her fangs. The sharp smell of fear perforated her nose, and brought some clarity to her mind. Killing the terrified man would do no good. But if he didn't answer her in the next ten seconds she would gladly do so.

"S-she is beyond the camp's border. King Raror," the guard paused, swallowing in hesitation. Elizabeth squeezed his neck tighter and he immediately spit out the rest of his sentence.

"Sh-she was shot!" He gasped, his hands clawing at her arm as her fingers tightened out of reflex in reaction to his words.

Elizabeth was out of the tent before he hit the ground. She could hear him shouting orders at her Queen's guard, but everything was blurred as the burning heat in her chest continued to spread, moving like hot tar through her veins. The sharp scent of blood hit her the second she stepped onto the ledge. She figured Adira must be close, because her vision was gradually returning.

At first it was all muted colors and blurred lines, then the hazy outlines of bodies, until finally they gained their shape. Elizabeth's mind went blank as the scene came into focus. Adira was still in wolf form, her beautiful fur coated in blood. Her body still jerked with spasms. Her blood was everywhere. Raror stood over her, a crossbow in his hand.

Elizabeth shook with rage as her monster reared it's ugly head. Her fangs elongated further, until they stopped just below her chin. Her vision flickered and brightened, and she knew without a doubt that her eyes were solid black, no pupil. Her aches and pains vanished as she surrendered to the monster in her. "Raror." Her voice was almost musical, but airy, like it held no depth.

The King of Oregon looked up, his features brightening in delight. Shoving the crude weapon behind him, he sauntered over to her. "Elizabeth! I'm so glad you could make it. Look, I have disposed of your pet. Now those foolish creatures are gone for good, and now we can begin our reign."

Elizabeth crossed her arms, a smirk dancing on her lips as she leaned back against a nearby tree. She knew Adira was not dead, though very close. Though the pain threatened to overwhelm her, she kept her face perfectly blank. "Our reign?" She tapped her lip quizzically.

Raror's eyes were wild with insanity as he nodded. "Oh yes! Once we are married our houses will be very powerful."